Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 25-02-16, 13:07

JamesK will become famous soon enough JamesK will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevaun View Post
This will catch many out. I purchased a new TRS harness from a well known purveyor of used race cars on here(no names no pack drill) a couple of years ago. I've just noticed it is dated 2017 so will have to be replaced when I have had the harness only 4 years in total! I can't blame my supplier because when I bought the harness there was no lifing on speed event harnesses and because of this I didn't check the date at the time.
The lesson here is if buying new harnesses check the dates because if they've been on the shelf for a while you could well be getting less than you pay for!
Perhaps there's also a lesson here for suppliers to purge stocks regularly and hold clearance sales of reduced life products?

Rich
Rich,

The cynic in me might suppose that reseller stock could be on sale or return with the manufacturer who could then re-label +12 months and return for sale, I can't believe that there are a stockpile of lifed belts sitting with the manufacturers?
Old 25-02-16, 13:16

Nick Skidmore will become famous soon enough
Whilst I sympathise with folk on restricted budgets I think it is worth considering that 5 seasons out in the sun (hopefully) can degrade the webbing together with the normal use and potential damage from tools etc. The cost of a new harness is small compared to that of having all your meals through a straw and 24 hour nursing.

For those caught out, you could do worse than the bog standard 6 point from TRS, deal direct and speak to James Ledamun the price could surprise you. Buy in December to get full homologation.
Old 25-02-16, 13:27

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skidmore View Post
Whilst I sympathise with folk on restricted budgets I think it is worth considering that 5 seasons out in the sun (hopefully) can degrade the webbing together with the normal use and potential damage from tools etc. The cost of a new harness is small compared to that of having all your meals through a straw and 24 hour nursing.

For those caught out, you could do worse than the bog standard 6 point from TRS, deal direct and speak to James Ledamun the price could surprise you. Buy in December to get full homologation.
Good advice from Nick but make sure you measure you old belts, I just purchased a TRS belt for my single seater and thought I was getting like for like to find out the shoulder straps where 6 inches shorter than my old set, they where both the same model but years apart in manufacture. Had to return them as could not do the belts up
Old 25-02-16, 13:32
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
So what year does SA 2005 expire...../....
Old 25-02-16, 13:39

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
Rich,

The cynic in me might suppose that reseller stock could be on sale or return with the manufacturer who could then re-label +12 months and return for sale, I can't believe that there are a stockpile of lifed belts sitting with the manufacturers?
Well James there's a cynic in me also which tells me that only they would know and we never will.

Rich
Old 25-02-16, 14:03

n500 is on a distinguished road
SA 2005 expires 31.12.18. Page 170 in blue book.
Old 25-02-16, 14:08
Out

Mr Jan Yeo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaWestie View Post
Snell 2015 ones should be for 5 years after 2010 ones expire
Snell 2015 helmets are about (I've got one) and currently marked in the BB as "not for use beyond 2023" which is the same note as the 2010. However I wouldn't be surprised if we see an extension to that in due course.

The lifed belts thing doesn't affect me (yet) but I had heard that it was in for this season, thanks mainly to single seater drivers having a bit of a moan (usually in response to my moans about 1b tyres and ROPS )
Old 25-02-16, 14:23

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
Great! Because of the FHR new reg we have just bought new belts as whilst the old ones were fine they didn't sit over the FHR properly, ( in addition also needed chassis mods to anchor points ). Belts are only therefore half a season old but I hope the date doesn't mean I only get a couple/few years out of them, ( could I have shopped around to find something with a different/better expiry date on them ? ). Will check date tonight.
Old 25-02-16, 14:27
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by n500 View Post
SA 2005 expires 31.12.18. Page 170 in blue book.
Thanks Neil. I will be 80 then, it might be a good idea to think about stopping. I think my overalls runs out this year as well......
Old 25-02-16, 14:40

DaveK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevaun View Post
Well James there's a cynic in me also which tells me that only they would know and we never will.

Rich
thats why we have low stocks of Belts from nov onwards to run down the stock levels so you don't get caught with "old" belts ,
Belts and seats are now 5 years life + year of manufacture , so if you buy wisely you can in effect get 6 years out of them