Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-17, 09:17

Teddie2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by onomatopoeia View Post
Black, round, road legal, radial should be the requirements, with period exemptions to "radial" for older vehicles.

None of this endless, ever changing lists business. Basically what the ASWMC ran until S&HSC / speed events committee imposed the categories and therefore the blue book technical regs for roadgoing which in turn imposed the tyre lists.

I still regard that regulation change as a mistake in as far as it applies to tyres.
Fully agree with all that's needed is Black(or any other colour they want to make them), round, road legal & e marked.

When I ran in road going on the ASWMC hills, the e mark requirement made a lot of sense and was easy to police at an event. Worked well for years on ASWMC events.

But hey as others have said, why keep it simple when you can make lists and then have a committe meeting to talk about it!
Old 12-09-17, 09:50

RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
No I am suggesting they apply to be on 1A and 1B, I was under the impression 1C was a catch-all.
That's my understanding too. Manufacturers have to apply to be on the lists. If the tyres meet the criteria, the most basic being e-marking, and the manufacturer provides details of the tread patterns, compounds etc, the tyres can be added to the lists.
List 1C arose out of the fact that quite a few of the popular high performance road tyres were no longer going to be e-marked due to changes in the E-marking Regulations, so inclusion in List 1C enabled their continued use in Circuit Racing where treaded tyres were specified in the event/champoinship Regs.
Old 12-09-17, 10:47
Skoda leg end

Alpinepg will become famous soon enough Alpinepg will become famous soon enough
They should just go with E-marking and be done with it.....scrap the complicated lists! A few years ago I had tyres that were on the list one year and dropped off the next.....what an expensive pain that was!
Old 12-09-17, 11:00

GrahamV is on a distinguished road
I don't understand the secrecy behind it: Extreme have been open and said their VR1s and VR2s will be List 1B from Jan 2018... but I've seen nothing from Toyo, Yoko, Avon, Dunlop, Kumho etc .

To remove any doubt the minutes from the MSA Production Tyre meeting should be available to competitors - the very people that fund the MSA. This would allow competitors to plan for tyres / expenditure.
Old 12-09-17, 11:12

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Graham, you just hit the nail on the head, but sadly I doubt that the MSA see us in quite that light.
John
Old 12-09-17, 11:30
KT's minder

john m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinepg View Post
They should just go with E-marking and be done with it.....scrap the complicated lists! A few years ago I had tyres that were on the list one year and dropped off the next.....what an expensive pain that was!
Is that not just what I said originally ?
Old 12-09-17, 13:13

GrahamV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m View Post
Very similar - two strands of the same argument: I take a slightly different stance - I can see the need for List 1A and List 1B to separate 'Standard Road Going' from the 'Road Going Series Production' category. My concern is that the MSA decision regarding tyres is taken in early September but we don't know the outcome until mid December..... Some 3 months later.

Last edited by GrahamV; 12-09-17 at 14:02.
Old 12-09-17, 13:30
Skoda leg end

Alpinepg will become famous soon enough Alpinepg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m View Post
Yep.....totally agree with you....my earlier comments were facetious but also close to the truth.
Old 12-09-17, 17:19

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamV View Post
Very similar - two strands of the same argument: I take a slightly different stance - I can see the need for List 1A and List 1B to separate 'Standard Road Going' from the 'Road Going Series Production' category. My concern is that the MSA decision regarding tyres is taken in early September but we don't know the outcome until mid December..... Some 3 months later.
Totally agree. And at the moment, list 1a is missing all of the recently released "sporty" road tyres available from the main manufacturers (yet, the tyres that are being replaced / phased out are listed). Needs a comprehensive update.
Old 12-09-17, 18:05
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
Must be groundhog time of year...didn't we have a similar thread this time last year ?