Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-08, 18:33

RussellT is on a distinguished road
Problem for Road Modified Classes

Last year as some of you will know I had a problem with scrutineering at Harewood that meant I had to get new top mounts for my front suspension. Having found them I had the option to get eliptical versions however on reading the Blue book para 80 that used to state that the mounting points must remain standard now states that the configuration of the suspension must remain standard. I wasnt sure if that meant eliptical top mounts were allowed, so I asked the MSA and I have had a response that states clearly that eliptical mounts, moving the top mounts and the use of non standard wishbones is not allowable and furthermore only modifications that are specificaly listed in the Blue Book are allowed and since none are listed in paragraph 80 none are allowed.

This is a big problem as very few competative cars in the road modified classes run completely standard front and rear suspension. We are road modified after all.

Apparently this has gone to the Speed Event Committee so there is a possibility for a more liberal regulation if competitors in this class feel that there is a need.

I would appreciate some feedback and if you feel that para 80 should include some form of allowable suspension modification, suggestions for a possible wording.
Old 12-11-08, 22:21

minitici is on a distinguished road
No such animal as "Road Modified" class!
Old 13-11-08, 12:15
Official cake tester

Rescue Dude will become famous soon enough
I ran in road modified at Cowbrough last year. It's for cars that are not standard but not mod prod.
Old 13-11-08, 14:38

Most championships are being forced to use MSA defined classes from 2009.
So technically your car would have to comply with the full regulations for "Modified Limited Production Cars".
I'm sure that event / championship organisers could include a sub-division class to have Modified Limited Production Cars which are also road registered - but they would not be "Road Going Series Production Cars".
Old 13-11-08, 15:00
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
It seems to me that lots of competitors are making up the rules to suit themselves just because they think they are gaining an advantage. Ok, push the rules to the limit, but dont break them. Scrutineering should be tightened up and if the car doesn't comply, send it home or put it in sports libre, they won't fool around again. Not aimed at the thread starter, but if it says, No spherical top bearings, it means that, no matter how much it improves the handling.
Old 13-11-08, 15:37

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitici View Post
So technically your car would have to comply with the full regulations for "Modified Limited Production Cars".
I doubt that a Renault 5GT Turbo would be considered a "Modified Limited Production Car".

Old 13-11-08, 17:51

FLoads is on a distinguished road
Of course the MSA have considered carefully all the implications of this and tyres regs, and fuel sampling haven't they ????
Old 13-11-08, 18:30

SteveM is on a distinguished road
More expence

The real point has to be its has been allowed up to now, and we have built cars to what the rules said, now if the meaning is changed we have to throw away half the car , if that is the case i think people will be forced out of the sport. I know the MSA dont belive this , but some of us are trying to compete on very small budgets, if i have to modify the car then thats my entry fees for the year gone , end of the road. Why change what is a very competitive and well supported class just for the sake of change ???????
Old 13-11-08, 19:07
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
The real point has to be its has been allowed up to now, and we have built cars to what the rules said, now if the meaning is changed we have to throw away half the car , if that is the case i think people will be forced out of the sport. I know the MSA dont belive this , but some of us are trying to compete on very small budgets, if i have to modify the car then thats my entry fees for the year gone , end of the road. Why change what is a very competitive and well supported class just for the sake of change ???????
I can fully sympathise with any one who is running a car with long established modifications and they are suddenly going to have to change things drastically, but the first post on this thread clearly indicated that the author wanted to carry out a modification which clearly isn't allowed, and he seems rather disgruntled. I can have no sympathy at all with these kind of mods, so if you dont like the way the system is run, go to a class where mods are allowed or are totally forbidden. An easy route would be to buy a Formula Ford, no mods at all.
Old 13-11-08, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
I doubt that a Renault 5GT Turbo would be considered a "Modified Limited Production Car".
The 2009 "Modified" class defines:

"82. (a) Modified Limited Production Cars - Must have been originally available through the normal commercial channels of the manufacturer in quantities of not less than 100 vehicles within 12 consecutive months."

Tags
modification , modified , road , suspension