Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-16, 08:10

AllanMcD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jo white View Post
The "safety enhancement " element is probably something to do with methanol being highly carcinogenic.
If thats the reason Why for only forced induction ?

This is what the MSA say
Reason
: Due to the increased power achieved
through methanol use it is considered, on safety
grounds, that its use in Forced Induction
vehicles should be prohibited.
The delayed introduction allows current vehicles
to be altered to suit the change of fuel
Old 02-06-16, 08:17

whimsy is on a distinguished road
If the issue was the safety of methanol, then it would be banned in ALL engines but this new proposal wants it banned from forced induction engines only, on the grounds of excessive power. This is a joke. If you want to limit power in forced induction limit the boost.
But how can they suggest that the use in forced induction engines achieves too much power when the power levels achieved are LESS than the V8s used by those winning the championship? Extending the logic says those engines should be banned too.

I'm beginning to think that this proposal is so daft that there is no real intention to introduce it, but to distract attention from the bureaucratic nonsense of making the equivalence factor a nice and tidy 1.7 across all motor sport. Giving a concession to allow methanol would appear to be a concession when forcing through 1.7 equivalency.

I wish that the folks currently considering changes to our sport would remember that it is one of the very few areas in which regulations have been deliberately kept refreshingly light, allowing innovation and imagination to flourish and the production of some very creative solutions. There is no NEED for these unless the driving force in your life is a civil service type need for uniformity. Lets hope we can prevail to keep the regulations as stable and free as possible. I will be lobbying.
Old 02-06-16, 08:24
Pasty Power

RobertT will become famous soon enough
Quote:
The "safety enhancement " element is probably something to do with methanol being highly carcinogenic.
Methanol is not considered to be appreciably carcinogenic. Its a toxin yes.
Old 02-06-16, 08:41

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy View Post

There is no NEED for these unless the driving force in your life is a civil service type need for uniformity. Lets hope we can prevail to keep the regulations as stable and free as possible. I will be lobbying.
I have strong suspicions that the MSA rule makers do indeed have a civil service mentality, they seem to be heading towards the uniformity route, no diversity, no inovation, we will soon be limited to one make championships like the circuit racers, easy to control and regulate, but is this what you paid your license fee for, or want to happen
John
Old 02-06-16, 10:31

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
I have said this before, if people feel strongly about this they should firstly individually protest. Secondly, maybe through Uphill Racers, they should get together to form a pressure group which in turn could get a representative on the relevant committee.
Old 02-06-16, 10:48

Nick Skidmore will become famous soon enough
I suspect it's linked to a nasty accident that happened last year but the accident wasn't caused by methanol.
Old 02-06-16, 10:54

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Will they be banning all diesel vehicles from racing and paddock areas etc ?

And the MSA must be total idiots if they think you cannot make power on pump fuel !

They want to ban methanol because it makes too much power.....relative to what exactly ?

Say a turbo'd bike engine that can make say 5-600hp on methanol might be too much ?

or my turbo'd V8 that easily do double that on pump fuel....and then some.

Whilst I joked before about it...these rules are as dumb as the reasoning behind almost all speed cameras...which will probably be their next proposal at speed events !
Old 02-06-16, 11:05

wight jr will become famous soon enough
(b) With the exception of Period Defined Vehicles A-E,
vehicles using Forced Induction are prohibited from using
methanol.

Well I'm sure we all know what car they are wanting away.

There is too much self interests with who we have on the committee
that answer to the msa

Now if they can just find away to get rid of Richard, Les, and Ed on the grounds of safety of course.......
Old 02-06-16, 11:59

gixxerthou is on a distinguished road
Nick - Nasty accident????? - pray tell.

Presumably methanol was involved, I guessing here. I'm also guessing that this would have created interest in the fuel. I doesn't take much misinformation to start the uninformed from jumping to all sorts of conclusions. Hell, someone on here has linked MeOH with a carcinogenic potency.
Old 02-06-16, 14:43

wil_ker is on a distinguished road
ignoring BHC events, how many BTDBTDBTDs have recently been done with a methanol fuelled forced induction car I wonder. Even in the BHC, it's rare.

Slowing down any class where there is a capacity restriction fails the safety argument, as it only slows down cars that are already not the fastest.