Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 25-02-16, 11:56
Craig Powers OMS2000M ZZR

Craig Powers is on a distinguished road
Harness now lifed for Racing Cars

I have just been told that harnesses are now lifed at 5 years by virtue of FIA Homologation. This has been sneaked in to the Blue Book and few seem to know about it. Another nail in the coffin for speed events. How long before it is applied to all classes and to seats? The "occasional competitor" will be a thing of the past.

S10.1.11. Hill Climb Super Sports Cars, Sports Libre Cars and Racing Cars must be equipped with a currently
homologated FIA safety harness complying with K.2.1.3 or K.2.1.4.

Craig Powers
Old 25-02-16, 12:18

dopdog will become famous soon enough
I have just found this out as well and had to buy new belts. I was hoping to get a new belt later in the year to spread my costs but guess what!!
Old 25-02-16, 12:38
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
The year indicates the end of homologation, so 2016 means that belts can be used up until end of 2016, so I get one years use out of my belts

<tongueincheek>I'm amazed you cant just buy new labels for belts. Nice little side line for somone.</tongueincheek>
Old 25-02-16, 12:38
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Powers View Post
I have just been told that harnesses are now lifed at 5 years by virtue of FIA Homologation. This has been sneaked in to the Blue Book and few seem to know about it. Another nail in the coffin for speed events. How long before it is applied to all classes and to seats? The "occasional competitor" will be a thing of the past.

S10.1.11. Hill Climb Super Sports Cars, Sports Libre Cars and Racing Cars must be equipped with a currently
homologated FIA safety harness complying with K.2.1.3 or K.2.1.4.

Craig Powers
Since I started competing on the continent this is something that I have had to do every 5 years and I could normally sell the used belts on to some-one in the UK. Looks like this wont be able to happen again. Oh well.......
Old 25-02-16, 12:41
Craig Powers OMS2000M ZZR

Craig Powers is on a distinguished road
I have contacted the MSA and have had written confirmation. I am quite dismayed that this has happened without discussion or warning. I am concerned about how the MSA makes these decisions and consults its "paying customers".
Old 25-02-16, 12:42

sevaun will become famous soon enough
This will catch many out. I purchased a new TRS harness from a well known purveyor of used race cars on here(no names no pack drill) a couple of years ago. I've just noticed it is dated 2017 so will have to be replaced when I have had the harness only 4 years in total! I can't blame my supplier because when I bought the harness there was no lifing on speed event harnesses and because of this I didn't check the date at the time.
The lesson here is if buying new harnesses check the dates because if they've been on the shelf for a while you could well be getting less than you pay for!
Perhaps there's also a lesson here for suppliers to purge stocks regularly and hold clearance sales of reduced life products?

Rich
Old 25-02-16, 12:48
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
I guess its the same with helmets. Snell 2015 helmets haven't materialised yet so people are still buying Snell 2010 helmets which have a reduced life span compared to the Snell 2015 ones if there were available
Old 25-02-16, 12:59

peters is on a distinguished road
I am led to believe that the Snell 2010 spec helmets have had a life extension to 2023 ? if so is that in line with Snell 2015 ?
Old 25-02-16, 13:05

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
I thought id read towards season end last year it was coming in for sports libre cars, in one of the msa bulletins regarding mandated HANS?

be interesting to hear a scrutes view on belts etc. I know wandering round paddock ive seen cars running with what look like very old belts, and drivers with old looking safety kit. I think that's why the British standard BS red and blue labels were phased out as they hadn't got an expiry date like snell/FIA, so potentially one could compete with a 10-15yr old lid or belts. In speed events we only wear them for minutes at a time, whereas circuit racing lids/belts could be worn or 2hrs easily over a weekend (practice, qually, 2 x races 40mins+) so I do think theres a case for saving the circuit competitor from themselves and stopping them running with an aged but legal to letter of regs lid/harness as itll have had some serious usage, but even the most regular speed competitors lid wont have done much work in comparison. Is this another blanket reg for all aspects, speed, circuits, it already in rallying of course, to bring all competition to a similar safety standard irrespective of discipline? are scrutes seeing worn, aged safety kit on a regular basis and have pushed for changes?
Old 25-02-16, 13:06
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peters View Post
I am led to believe that the Snell 2010 spec helmets have had a life extension to 2023 ? if so is that in line with Snell 2015 ?
Snell 2015 ones should be for 5 years after 2010 ones expire