Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-15, 13:38

wil_ker is on a distinguished road
Oh, maybe mine is a 30 deg then. But looking at the HANS you tried, it looked completely different to mine at the rear.
Old 03-08-15, 15:43

jeffwiltshire will become famous soon enough
I find it very unlikely that you need a 10 deg HANS, you would have to be sat bolt upright like you would in a church pew for that to make any sense. Most Kit cars/saloon cars use 20 deg and most single seaters use 30 deg.

I suggest a trip (with car) to MSAR/Merlin Motorsport or someone else who stocks all of them. I also have a Simpson Hybrid like David and that isn't restricted in the same way as a HANS and you may find this will suit you better.
Old 03-08-15, 15:47

magicaltrev is on a distinguished road
The problem with a trip to Merlin is that they won't let you anywhere near your car with the Hans in case it gets damaged! You have to buy it first.

I'd suggest ordering it online and being very careful with it so you can return it unused under the distance selling rules
Old 03-08-15, 15:58

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaltrev View Post
The problem with a trip to Merlin is that they won't let you anywhere near your car with the Hans in case it gets damaged! You have to buy it first.

I'd suggest ordering it online and being very careful with it so you can return it unused under the distance selling rules
Don't worry I won't be travelling from Yorkshire to Cheltenham with car and trailer + a day off work. That tots up to the cost of a HANS device or three event entries
I'm sure there are many of my hill climb friends at the next meeting or two who will be happy to let me have a little try out in the cockpit with various angles of equipment
Having said all that I'm quietly confident that there really isn't a suitable answer, but need to cover all bases first.

Richard
Old 03-08-15, 16:39

paul martin is on a distinguished road
I use the 30 deg one in my 2000 m seems ok. Try it at the end of the month.
Old 03-08-15, 17:22

dan mason will become famous soon enough
Likewise rich. I have the 30deg and your welcome to pop over and test it in the force tub!
Old 03-08-15, 17:57

Lawrie C is on a distinguished road
I've just had a strange idea. All a HANS device appears to do is to provide 2 horizontal straps to limit helmet movement.

Why can't this come off the belt mountings? It may not be quite as good, but should be close.

And I used 4th gear for the first time in a long time on Saturday
Old 03-08-15, 18:52
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Just sounds like you tried a saloon car set up rather than one for a single seater. Big difference.
Old 03-08-15, 19:03

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
Hi Richard. Fyi we bought the adjustable Hans on the basis that we could adjust it to whatever seemed the most comfortable once we got it home and sat in the car, ( and unsuprisingly it was 30 degrees ), but with the benefit that if ever we swap to a saloon car or other motorsport discipline etc than we can adjust the Hans to suit. The extra cost was not that great considering the flexibility/future proofing it offers.

Re the fitting we hadn't bargained on the fact we'd then need to buy a new harness too due to the shoulder webbing on ours being too wide + with no adjustment it meant the buckles sat at my jaw line when strapped in, ( which limited head movement and would have been bad news in an accident ). So be aware you may well need Hans specific harness too.
Anyway you're more than welcome to borrow ours and you can try it
at 10,20 and 30 degrees to see what fits best. Let me know. Otherwise do as we did and just buy the adjustable or poss try the Simpson. cheers, Ed
Old 03-08-15, 19:46

jouhar will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrie C View Post
I've just had a strange idea. All a HANS device appears to do is to provide 2 horizontal straps to limit helmet movement.

Why can't this come off the belt mountings? It may not be quite as good, but should be close.
I assume you are joking ?

Just think of the difference in the physics of when you come to a sudden stop with the straps effectively attached to your shoulders.... And the straps attached to a fixed point behind you....

With your idea you would be guaranteed to snap your neck, if the straps were a similar length to the HANS.... And if the straps were longer, then they wouldn't be having any benefit at all.