Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-15, 10:46

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Hans won't fit...

On Sunday at Harewood another competitor let me try his Hans for fit in my OMS single seater. The one in question was a 10 degree version and at face value seemed ideal as I sit very upright in my car.
Once seated with the HANS in place I immediately spotted a problem. As I'm tall (6' 2") I have to sit well back in the car as it's a pretty small chassis. Without the HANS my helmet already is in permanent contact with the ROPS head restraint and with the HANS device fitted I could not sit with my head upright as the HANS protudes rearwards by about 40-50mm and there just isn't the space for it.

I can't see a way around it as by nature of the way HANS work they have to be behind the helmet.

I'm now faced with a situation where I'll probably have to sell the car and buy something else simply to accommodate a device which is being thrust upon me by the MSA.

Alternative Ideas greatly appreciated thanks

Rich
Old 03-08-15, 10:51

Adam is on a distinguished road
Rich, are you able to get some pictures of the problem area?
Old 03-08-15, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Rich, are you able to get some pictures of the problem area?
Yes I'll take some tonight

Thanks
Old 03-08-15, 11:04

dan mason will become famous soon enough
I have found similar issue with the force although my hans is 30deg!
I made a seat (foam) but it puts me too high in the tub restricting movement. So i took all the spacers from the pedals so I could slide further into the tub meaning I'm also lower,and more reclined which is better!
Is there any adjustment to the pedal box?
Old 03-08-15, 11:40

david.seaton will become famous soon enough david.seaton will become famous soon enough
I have a Simpson FHR which is a different set up.
It may be worth a look at as it takes little space behind your shoulders.
Old 03-08-15, 11:50
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Richard,

I believe many folk will have the same issue that you've discovered; Buying the HANS and suitable helmet are only the start of the task.....

On a lot of older single seaters, the harness shoulder strap mountings on the chassis are too far apart and too high up. Meaning you have to either move them or compromise your seating position to best suit the HANS.

Many will also have to make a new seat or move it further forward to give space behind your helmet for the HANS to sit without fouling the headrest. Some folk may be lucky in that they can move the headrest back a bit.

And of course once you move yourself further forward you may well end up with a different back/head angle which may suit a different HANS divice....

Dan - on most cars there is some scope for moving pedals but you need to make sure you don't make the master cylinder push-rod angles too severe.
Old 03-08-15, 12:09

No more space

In answer to Steve and Dan's suggestions(thanks)
I've already moved the pedals as far forward as they'll go so there's nothing to be gained there and anyway if I move my seat forward my legs will need to bend more, which they won't without fouling the steering wheel/ dash hoop bottom.

Rich
Old 03-08-15, 12:58

wil_ker is on a distinguished road
The angle of the HANS is measured from the horizontal. If you are sitting upright then you'll need a 20 or 30 deg rather than the 10 deg.

I use a 20 Deg and looking at the way you sit in your car a 30 deg might be more suitable. The 10 will, as you have found, clash with everything.

Is there some scope to modify the head restraint and leave the ROPS as it is?

Or as above, HANS is not specified, so a different system might be more suitable.
Old 03-08-15, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil_ker View Post
The angle of the HANS is measured from the horizontal. If you are sitting upright then you'll need a 20 or 30 deg rather than the 10 deg.

I use a 20 Deg and looking at the way you sit in your car a 30 deg might be more suitable. The 10 will, as you have found, clash with everything.

Is there some scope to modify the head restraint and leave the ROPS as it is?

Or as above, HANS is not specified, so a different system might be more suitable.
There seems to be some confusion about angles Will. My understanding is that the more upright the stance then the lower the angle. The competitor who lent me the 10 degree HANS( sorry FHR) uses it in a Scooby and hence it must be the more upright one. Anyway this si form the DT website:

The reason for differing reclines is to ensure that the device sits comfortably and securely on the body, whatever the seating position. 10, 20, 30, 40 degree and adjustable devices are available with 10 degree being for upright seating positions such as oval racing. 20 degree is generally suited to any saloon or rally car application. 30 degree is the choice for most single seater and sports cars whilst 40 degree is generally used in Formula 1. This is a guide only and we recommend that you check the required recline for your application before you purchase.

So it looks like the 10 degree one is as good as I'll get

Rich
Old 03-08-15, 13:36

dan mason will become famous soon enough
The 30deg hans is more reclined than a 10deg!