Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-06-15, 19:34
dopdog's Avatar
dopdog dopdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,085
dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5 novice View Post
I really don't see the problem here, it is for our own personal safety! I run in roadgoing class at the moment and my son now shares the car, he bought a helmet with HANS posts and I bought a new one this year with HANS posts and a Schroth HANS device at the same time for just over £400. My car has four point harness fitted. I asked a scrute at first meeting about it, didn't need to check HANS as not compulsory for our class but he looked it over and gave us a thumbs up anyway. £400 for a sensible piece of safety kit or £400 towards a new diff/engine/gearbox/ecu or whatever you deem necessary? No brainer for me, safety first and go faster bits second every time.

The only issue I see being a sticking point is with roadgoing cars that don't have four point harnesses installed, I don't believe a HANS device is compatible with lap and shoulder, 3 point seatbelts. Unless someone knows different?

D.
I think you miss my point, I like you already have a neck device. So like you I think it is worth the cost. Mine however is not FIA approved but SFI and if they make it only FIA then mine is obsolete and £400 down the drain.

How does this help people in the same position as me or am I the only one with a non FIA approved safety device?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-15, 20:01
MX5 novice MX5 novice is offline
Maybe not novice anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Telford
Posts: 547
MX5 novice will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdog View Post
I think you miss my point, I like you already have a neck device. So like you I think it is worth the cost. Mine however is not FIA approved but SFI and if they make it only FIA then mine is obsolete and £400 down the drain.

How does this help people in the same position as me or am I the only one with a non FIA approved safety device?
So which device do you have? I looked for SFI approved neck support and found plenty at about £30 mark but didn't see any up in the £400 region. Looking at the ones I found I'd say a FHR device will provide far more neck protection than the neck brace type, even in a side on impact.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-06-15, 20:07
CNHSS1's Avatar
CNHSS1 CNHSS1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 1,274
CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
Agree, but youll get chucked off here if youre all reasonable lol
Its not being mandated for Roadgoing cars just modprod and libre so belts arent an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-06-15, 20:10
dopdog's Avatar
dopdog dopdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,085
dopdog will become famous soon enough
I have a necksgen from the USA, Adjustable angle as well.

Guess what, they got sued by Simpson and Hans for copyright and of course lost so had to change the style of the newer ones they sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 700x500-mB42tNeJ83aXE6kx46180.jpg (31.2 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-15, 20:56
MX5 novice MX5 novice is offline
Maybe not novice anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Telford
Posts: 547
MX5 novice will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
Agree, but youll get chucked off here if youre all reasonable lol
Its not being mandated for Roadgoing cars just modprod and libre so belts arent an issue.
"It was also decided that from 1 January 2016 an FIA-approved FHR will be mandatory for all Hill Climb and Sprint competitors, except for those in Period Defined Vehicles, Road-going Series Production Cars and Road-going Specialist Production Cars. Nonetheless, it will be recommended for those excepted competitors."

I read this as it is to be recommended but no comment on type of seatbelt required to go with it.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-06-15, 21:04
MX5 novice MX5 novice is offline
Maybe not novice anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Telford
Posts: 547
MX5 novice will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdog View Post
I have a necksgen from the USA, Adjustable angle as well.

Guess what, they got sued by Simpson and Hans for copyright and of course lost so had to change the style of the newer ones they sell.
That didn't appear in the search results I got, how long ago did they lose the case?


The point about approvals though is quite simple. Are the MSA affiliated to SFI or FIA? If they decide to mandate a particular type of safety equipment they're hardly likely to adopt a standard to which they are not affiliated when there is a design approved by the body they are affiliated to.

D.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-06-15, 21:35
CNHSS1's Avatar
CNHSS1 CNHSS1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Shropshire
Posts: 1,274
CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5 novice View Post
"It was also decided that from 1 January 2016 an FIA-approved FHR will be mandatory for all Hill Climb and Sprint competitors, except for those in Period Defined Vehicles, Road-going Series Production Cars and Road-going Specialist Production Cars. Nonetheless, it will be recommended for those excepted competitors."

I read this as it is to be recommended but no comment on type of seatbelt required to go with it.

D.
Ah i see. Yes RG cars with inertia reel road belts couldnt use one, so it would be their choice to upgrade to a harness and FHR.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-06-15, 21:38
Lolat492 Lolat492 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,449
Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
You are correct Dave, Hanns needs a 4 point belt.
I am using a Hans for the first time this year, with 3" belts, ok but 2" would be better.
It is awkward to put on in the car, but when on you don't notice it.
I came down Shelsley last weekend with the Hans off. Your head sure moves more with it off.

I'm glad to have made this move that cost me the same as two new slicks...
I feel far more safe as a result.

Will be a Xmas pressie for many I think.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-06-15, 22:30
grahamb's Avatar
grahamb grahamb is offline
#UNLEARN
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fordshire
Posts: 3,971
grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I hope the prices come down in time, with all the demand since they're going to be compulsory for Rallying and some speed eventers.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-06-15, 22:43
Radical's Avatar
Radical Radical is offline
Ex Radical owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,406
Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
I hope the prices come down in time, with all the demand since they're going to be compulsory for Rallying and some speed eventers.
also

"FHRs are already mandatory for circuit racing competitiors in post-2000 single-seat cars and will be mandatory across circuit racing, except for Period Defined vehicles, from 2016."

I suspect rather than getting cheaper, a shortage of supply might drive sort term profiteering?
__________________
2015 the year of the V8 postponed again
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright© 2007-2017 www.uphillracers.com