Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Tech Talk For questions & answers and regarding PC's, Operating Systems, Connections and all things computer related. Apple Mac not spoken here.

Old 17-09-16, 07:41

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
There is some deal about free for the 1st year then the £60/year and you get lots of 356 cloud stuff.
Hope I'm not at cross purposes here with my description.

There is a formal statement on the changes on MS web site.
Old 19-09-16, 11:25

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post

not a glitch on my iPad. Maybe Apple are the way to go?
I think not, they manage to lose peoples mail on a daily basis.
Anyway we don't mention them here
Anyway Thunderbird is the way to go. Download Moz backup and run that and store the created file on a regualr basis and you will always have a backup of your Mozilla data. Mail, address info the lot.
Old 21-09-16, 13:00
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
I was unfortunate in knocking my pc over with a bang and it went all funny. To cut a VERY long story short, I took it to the computer shop and they tried to fix it, apparently the fall had knocked something out of line in the box. Took it home and as before I took it in, the cursor would freeze on the screen. After 3 attempts they put a new hard drive in and it now seems ok. However, I noticed that I have Windows 10 and when I asked why they had downloaded it they said they hadn't and that I had. Now I have avoided touching anything when they (ms) were trying to force it on me and the shop said they had found a weakness and sneaked it in. I have never had a problem with OE so I put it back on the p.c and it seems ok. I also had Firefox before and I would like it again but if Thunderbird is the way to go, I might try it. Is it a free download, .Any advice welcome.....
Old 21-09-16, 13:10

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Thunderbird rocks. It is solid and scaleable to more of a degree than any of the MS offerings as email clients.
And the bonus for you David being a Yorkshireman is that it is free.
Old 21-09-16, 16:57

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Is this Thunderbird something similar to Outlook Express or Windows Live mail then ?

ie installed on computer and all emails are saved on that computer ?

Can you import all old emails from Outlook etc ?
Old 21-09-16, 19:16

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Interesting, all of it!

I hate it when MS change things on me, twice now.
How can they just do that?
Shows what can happen.
Old 21-09-16, 19:44

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
With the Windows 10 thing....when they were pushing the free "upgrade", it did download most of the install files to peoples computers in the background, so it was ready to go at any time.

It even tried to include it as part of the normal windows update procedure if you let it ! And then they apparently set it on an automatic schedule to update...so even if you clicked the red X to make it go away...the auto procedure had already been initiated, that's how some ended up with W10 without even realising.

With those sort of underhand sneaky tactics....Microsoft must work in government/taxation circles. It's the same dirty tricks they use to scam us !
Old 21-09-16, 20:14

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Is this Thunderbird something similar to Outlook Express or Windows Live mail then ?

ie installed on computer and all emails are saved on that computer ?

Can you import all old emails from Outlook etc ?
Pretty much. You can set it to use POP3 which downloads to your PC, or IMAP which leaves copies on the server so you can get your email on multiple devices.
Old 21-09-16, 20:20

I can choose those settings with Windows Live mail though ? If I choose IMAP for a hotmail account, what would the server address be ?

My main hotmail.com account still works, but it's the only Microsoft account that still seems to work with Live Mail now, despite the settings for them all being the same ?
Old 21-09-16, 20:26

edit...with new settings...think I got them working again.

http://www.betterhostreview.com/hotm...-settings.html