Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Tech Talk For questions & answers and regarding PC's, Operating Systems, Connections and all things computer related. Apple Mac not spoken here.

Old 09-09-16, 23:27

overton is on a distinguished road
Changing gear

I guess I shouldn't have to ask about this after almost 40 years of motorsport but I've recently found it more difficult to make clean changes on our LD200. I've read Bill Hewland's article which can easily be found on the net and think I understand the theory, but am interested in what anyone else thinks.
Going down the box generally is OK with a blip of the throttle and a dab of the clutch - but I've often wondered why this works rather than a proper double declutch being needed as on a non-synchromesh road car.
Going up the box I use the clutch - I think I'm programmed too much to avoid this when competing. I can see that the preloading the lever technique is fine on a circuit with practice, but gears are generally needed more quickly on a hillclimb. I can't see that using the clutch matters if changes are done as quickly as possible.
We've recently changed UJs in the linkage - can this make a difference?
Would be interested to hear what methods others use or what opinions are.
Old 10-09-16, 07:47

Judd is on a distinguished road
How good are the dogs? I always found changes were more difficult, with a little rattle in the lever, when the dogs got worn. New dogs and the change is much easier and more consistent.
Old 12-09-16, 12:18
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I was told never to use the clutch on upchanges, worst possible thing for the dogs, so with the sequential in the fiesta it was a case of pulling the lever and lifting a fraction on the throttle and it would go in to the next gear.