Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Events > Shows & Exhibitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 19-01-14, 19:25
Pink no more...

robcapper will become famous soon enough
Classic trials/whatever they're called

Hi,

I was hoping for a bit of advice if possible.. in short, my dad has a mid 1960s MGB on which he has been conducting a 'rolling restoration' which is now pretty much there. It does now at least start and stop (largely) at his request..

It's his birthday in April, and in order to stretch the car's legs a little further than the quick trip to the local and back, I was thinking about buying him an entry in a classic trial or whatever they're called - something in which I could be nav/co driver/etc

I've no idea what exists by way of these things, or even what they're called.. but can anyone suggest something which we could do? It cant really be a mental rally thing and would have to be on public roads, as he'll a) be scared, and b) wont want to kill the car. But is there something good we could do for a weekend or something in April or May? Southern UK preferred..

many thanks for any ideas...
Old 19-01-14, 19:49
220 Racing

carl_w is on a distinguished road
http://www.actc.org.uk is probably a good place to start. Have you also considered Production Car Trials? They run a number of events which are "non-damaging" -- I did one a few months back but I decided it was a bit too much waterproofs and thermos for my liking. And that was on a sunny day.
Old 19-01-14, 20:08

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Rob

Classic trials are good fun but I am not sure it you would want to use a 'rolling restoration' car . In my opinion , which is only based on being associated with the MAC's Clee hill trial some years ago , you need a car where you are not worried about the odd scratch on the paintwork and the occasional clunk from underneath as the exhaust hits a rock.

Also be prepared for a lot of mud if its wet

Hasta
Old 19-01-14, 20:38

kintryin is on a distinguished road
Rob I think that you would be a bit better off doing a 'regularity run' for classics on public roads this involves navigation and timing .
Car trials involve slippery grass and mud and probably would give 'dad' a few palpitations in his pride and joy !
Old 19-01-14, 20:57
Pink no more...

Thanks, yes, the things I had in mind were the things where a Bunch of classics drive a set route needing nav etc & with one or two overnight stops.. I've seen a few in classics magazines etc but not sure what they're called..
Old 19-01-14, 21:15

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Why don't you cut your teeth on the MAC Classic Run which starts from various points in the Mids and finishes at Shelsley. It is run every 2 years by Tony Harrison and helpers and is held in April.
Might be a good one to get you started.
Old 19-01-14, 21:28
Pink no more...

Absolutely perfect.. Except it clashes with the first round of the 2014 BHC... Awesome calendar planning!
Old 19-01-14, 21:37
Dibnah

RichardG is on a distinguished road
As Fireblade says, the MAC Classic is a good day out in like minded company. The MAC also does a number of "members only" classic runs through the year which usually attract a good number of MGBs. The events are non-competitive but do involve following a tulip diagram route book. Not too demanding of driver or car with a bit of socializing thrown in.

Most of the Dibnahs from Shelsley Mill do the classic runs, its how we learnt to keep old machinery running
Old 19-01-14, 21:40
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
What about LEJOG, all kind of classic vehicles take part. Apparently very well organized......
Old 19-01-14, 22:59
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Class O in the MCC of GB allow for fairly standard cars to run the same route as the rest but in class O you avoid the rough stuff. I've done all three several times, and we won finishers medals for the Lands End, Edinburgh and the Exeter trials and they are all extremely good fun. Bikes and cars compete on the same courses.

But I wouldn't do it in anything you wanted to keep 'pristine'.