Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Projects Forum for the discussion and showing of Uphill Racers members projects

Old 28-08-12, 12:12
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Sadly, the bodywork doesn't prove a thing. My old Clubmans car had a Mallock low downforce nose and it is the easiest way for an amateur builder to get respectable bodywork to cover his handywork. Actually, when I purchased the car the log book said mine was a Mk 9 Mallock, but this is a FF car and a bit of research soon proved exactly what it was and lead me to the original builder who had actually done his first event at Harewood in it. It turned out that he had originally planned to build a 750 car but had a change of heart. Whoever told the MSA it was a Mallock got it totally wrong unless they were trying to pull a fast one.....
Old 28-08-12, 13:25

Missing Link is on a distinguished road
Hi Steve. Nothing really..... The guy i bought it from in classed it as a Mallock 14E, It had a chassis plate but this turned out to be a home made fake.

The story was it had been locked up in a garage for 30 odd years.

On here you'll find a thread i started to try and find more about it, Spoke to loads of clubs and some very nice peeps but all drew a blank, which made me think it maybe had indeed been off the scene for a while.

Looking at it you certainly wouldn't forget it in a hurry LOL.

Not knowing much about the marque i took a punt, spoke to various people and then got a bit disheartened.

I was a bit hacked off that i'd bought the Mallock book for £36 and it wasn't even really a Mallock LOL !!

I understand that it going to be hard to convince you guy's that this is the real M'coy.

I could bore you with frame pics and sizes but i'd bet my house on this being 100%

About time i had a bit of luck anyway.

What i can confirm is that it sustained a bit of damage on the N/S by the rear radius arms, This was repaired and if the new brazing work is anything to go by all the modifications ( Square tail Etc ) were done at the same time.

The bolt on subframe bolts, nuts & washers were all imperial and that everything came off by hand, This thing has been dry stored as nothing was seized.

Thankfully i can still see the original brazing marks where the front suspension mounts used to be.

My gut feeling is this was pranged stored for a good while, Re commissioned with mods and never really used.

Last edited by Missing Link; 28-08-12 at 14:01.
Old 28-08-12, 13:47
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Maybe Fyrth will know better than me but if this frame was made by Arch Motors, then there will be a number stamped on the rear top damper support plate. This is provided that Mallock thought they would make sufficient of these to justify putting it out to AM. Maybe worth a gentle rub with some emery cloth.
Old 28-08-12, 13:58
Competitor

fyrth is on a distinguished road
I'm sure it's worth checking everywhere and if the chassis is being blast cleaned before refinishing, that's the time to look. I don't think the early Mallock chassis were built by Arch as they were still 'The Major's' cottage industry, bare chassis and parts being sold for the owner to assemble. Richard or Sue should certainly know.
Old 28-08-12, 14:21

Been right over it with a fine tooth comb and found nothing, Interestingly i visited John Fyda.

He has the same car and even got chatting to the guy that had it before him...

Both say no numbers were on that car either But John has MSA papers which as you all know make all the difference.

Heres his car,at the back.... Also a MK 3

I've still to see the car in the flesh, But has kindly offered to let me see it sometime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4732455917_6cf1fc96b0_o.jpg (119.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 28-08-12, 14:30
Senior Citizen

Please refer to my post No 11. Having MSA documents doesnt prove a thing. I had an MSA log book and changed it to what it is, not a Mallock because it wasnt. Even having FIA Historic papers dont really prove anything.....Finish the car, get it log booked and enjoy it for what it is.....
Old 28-08-12, 14:44

Amen to that......Your right, it's about the car..

I get carried away sometimes......
Old 28-08-12, 17:46

carl talbot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37 View Post
. My old Clubmans car had a Mallock low downforce nose .
shouldn't that be 'low upforce' nose ?
Old 28-08-12, 18:55
Ex Radical owner

Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing Link View Post
. At one time i was ready for binning it as i had been convinced it was a homemade special.
Even if it is an early Mallock, given the numbers made, it still is effectively a home made special
Old 28-08-12, 19:08

Very true fella,

Various guy's i talked to would tell me not bother as the cost of doing it would outway what it was worth.

Which is sad but very true. I've built up loads of projects over the years to get nothing like what i've spent back, let alone the time i'd spent on it ( I bet we all have )

But if this really is an old Formula Junior or early F3 car then it would be worth doing.

Not doing this for the money, It would just be great to have something with a history and worth the money and time spent on it.