Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Events > Shows & Exhibitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-11, 21:21
Pink no more...

robcapper will become famous soon enough
Festival of Speed

Apologies for dragging out the annual old chestnut.... but I just sat through an excellent hour long show of this year's Festival of Speed...

Anyone else find it infuriating that hillclimbing isnt represented? You even had Sir Stirling saying that he wanted to do some hillclimbing now that he'd retired from racing..

I know it comes up every year, but I dont see why the best of the BHC arent there.. I dont except the "primadonnas proffesional drivers not wanting to get beaten" argument, and I cant see the saftey concerns, given that the BHC has many hills that are faster, more dangerous, and the strength of the top hillclimb tubs.

Is it simply because the sport doesnt have the profile? That the event always falls on the Harewood BHC round? I for one, would love to see the likes of Scottie, Martin, Trevor etc ripping up the hill. And imagine how excited and sideways Eynon would get!

Do we ask every year and say no? Or do we not get invited?

I wonder if this will change with the BARC in charge? A bigger hammer?

right, I'm going back to my cave...
Old 12-07-11, 23:22
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
I watched half the programme and turned over. It seemed to be the usual format of too many over paid under achievers showing off all for Joe Public who cannot really associate with what was on offer as apposed to having a couple of speed event champions to show the 'lower' level of motorsport. I bet there weren't many spectators invited up to the 'house' to join in the fun. I don't think they were impressed when Junior made an appearance a couple of years ago. A final word, they dont have the funds to invite me....
Old 13-07-11, 06:49
Frequently Admonished

blackx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37 View Post
I don't think they were impressed when Junior made an appearance a couple of years ago.

And mighty impressive he was too...

Did the hillclimb fraternity proud......
Old 13-07-11, 07:11
Chief Admonisher

Shireen is on a distinguished road
While it is an impressive event I agree Rob... It's a advertised as a Hillclimb so why are the Hillclimb drivers not invited?? There's more to motor sport than F1 and rallying and it's normally far more interesting to watch as well!

Oh and funnily enough Foggy was telling me a few weeks ago that he doesn't get invited either these days
Old 13-07-11, 08:33

JamesK will become famous soon enough JamesK will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shireen View Post
While it is an impressive event I agree Rob... It's a advertised as a Hillclimb so why are the Hillclimb drivers not invited?? There's more to motor sport than F1 and rallying and it's normally far more interesting to watch as well!

Oh and funnily enough Foggy was telling me a few weeks ago that he doesn't get invited either these days
What about Compo and Clegg? I s'pose they are more into downhill stuff, runaway shopping trolleys and the like?

In all seriousness, now that Cholmondley has been mentioned on Top Gear i'd imagine it'll soon go the same way - full of z listers and goodie bag carrying zombies, our only hope is that it's too far north for the bourgeoisie.

J
Old 13-07-11, 09:03
Pink no more...

robcapper will become famous soon enough
I agree, it's not really my sort of event either - and why I've never been (although I havent missed a Goodwood revival yet, which is the complete opposite and the best event of the year...)

All that irked me was some excitable commentator on ITV4 prattling on about the "shootout" and dribbling over a horrible Nitrous Celica that didnt actuaqlly get a very quick time.. I just wanted to see a big yellow Gould wheeled up to the start in clingfilm shoes, so that people could see what hillclimbing is REALLY about (and then smash the next fasted time by 8 seconds, which is roughly where I think the BHC big guns would be..)
Old 13-07-11, 10:07
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Yep - totally agree Rob. I couldn't believe that one of the fastest times was in an old touring car cavalier! A real shame they didn't have any real hill-climb cars.....
Old 13-07-11, 10:26

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcapper View Post
Apologies for dragging out the annual old chestnut.... but I just sat through an excellent hour long show of this year's Festival of Speed...

Anyone else find it infuriating that hillclimbing isnt represented?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shireen View Post
It's a advertised as a Hillclimb so why are the Hillclimb drivers not invited?
I suspect that it is more an issue of speed. May I suggest that the organisers don't want a purpose built modern hillclimb car going up the hill and humiliating the stars! Add to that the prospects of a low 40 second run and the 'Elf & Safety Police will do their nut!

I for one would be happy for the Festival of Speed to carry on as it is - a mildy interesting demonstartion of racing cars & drivers most of which are outside of their comfort zone!

Old 13-07-11, 17:03

FJW1 is on a distinguished road
I have been to the Festival twice.

The first occassion in 2003, I was lucky enough to be part of Team GWR. To be honest it was trully a great experience, Having Mechanic access badges and every now and then, Driver VIP badges meant the general public thought I was a lot more important than i actually am....Athough it was great to get into the holding paddocks and chat to the F1 mechanics. I recall when one of Ferrari boys came over to have a look at Jnrs' New techniques pre-heater and us all trying in vain to translate Diesel into Italian.... a lot of stupid accents and truck driving mimes later and he got the idea...

Generally though they treat it as a demonstration of machine..not really speed. It attracts crazy crowds though.

The second time i went was with a Stag party as paying spectator. Again the paddocks were impressive, but not a patch on spectating real hillclimbs.

Agree with Steve...its all demonstration. On the speed front was there not a fatality a few years back toward the finish?
Old 13-07-11, 17:05

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Yes, John Dawson-Darmer driver a Lotus 63 4WD car was killed on the Finish and a marshal lost his leg and subsequent years showed a distinct drop in cars electing for a time.