Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 30-08-17, 17:12

Rob Way is on a distinguished road
You are probably running waay to much wing, as everyone seems to do.

actually what most do is run too much front wing, which they end up balancing with loads of rear.

Someone needs to get brave and ditch the rear wing and run a small enough front wing so that balance is restored, if you have a decent diffuser you shouldn't need a rear wing at all.
Old 30-08-17, 17:43

Tom_Poole is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Way View Post
You are probably running waay to much wing, as everyone seems to do.

actually what most do is run too much front wing, which they end up balancing with loads of rear.

Someone needs to get brave and ditch the rear wing and run a small enough front wing so that balance is restored, if you have a decent diffuser you shouldn't need a rear wing at all.
I certainly would't recommend removing the wings after first hand experience at Wiscombe last year which didn't end well... It was probably my driving which was the downfall...
Old 30-08-17, 17:59
Pink no more...

robcapper will become famous soon enough
yeah, but don't forget you had a front wing on it when you crashed first time mate - maybe that was to blame!
Old 30-08-17, 22:17

nick98 will become famous soon enough
I have often thought that their are probably very few places that I really need the single plane wings on my Jedi. Many years ago John Corbyn told me that the diffuser is doing most of the work so I recon that if a track doesn't have any corners that are taken at more than 80-90mph then I'm just carrying unnecessary extra weight. I just need larger spherical objects to put this theory to the test.
Old 30-08-17, 22:33

gixxerthou is on a distinguished road
When I look at a Jedi, I'd agree with you. The diffuser isn't that extensive though, always looks as though it should be wider, and the front floor longer, but then these are only my thoughts. I can't see that the rear wing on a Jedi sees anything but pretty disturbed air, but again, only my own visual guess. Given the way the suspension hangs out in the breeze, along with the side exit on the pods, it's hard to see any laminar flow... hence drag.
Has anyone put a Jedi into a real or virtual wind tunnel?
Old 31-08-17, 04:09

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
John Corbyn tolled me some time ago that the diffuser was computer simulated by a Uni (Southampton??) and it alone gave 150kg down force, I don't know if that was the earlier version which flares out around the rear wheels, which I have, or the later straight type
John
Old 31-08-17, 13:46

adamdg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Poole View Post
I certainly would't recommend removing the wings after first hand experience at Wiscombe last year which didn't end well... It was probably my driving which was the downfall...
Probably best to let the sprinters experiment with it first!
Old 31-08-17, 14:35

gixxerthou is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kano nordie View Post
and it alone gave 150kg down force, I don't know if that was the earlier version which flares out around the rear wheels, which I have, or the later straight type
John
It's quite heavy, some are fairly obese with woven mat and copious amounts of resin. GRP at it's least stiff (perhaps for other reasons than ease of lay). Quality has improved of late, but 5-6Kg of that is pure gravimetric mass. I saw the early type on a green MK4 this year, the additional 'wings' just behind the rear wheels appeared somewhat vulnerable.
Some early front floors have the front leading edge tapering towards the pedal box area, though this appendage has now been lost, with the front leading edge now a radius conforming with the sidepod. Again, the earlier floor looks visually more efficient.
Perhaps with the inevitable contact risk in the racing series, it was necessary to remove anything too vulnerable.
Old 31-08-17, 15:11

shortie2 is on a distinguished road
Did you try reducing wing angle ? Does the wing have a gurney? both give downforce at the possible expense of drag, wing profiles also have considerable effect.
Interesting example was a friend who towed an ex f3000 car to sprints with a pickup , if he didn't remove the reynard rear spoiler it wouldn't exceed 50mph!!!
Old 31-08-17, 16:36

dan mason will become famous soon enough
I took the front flap to its second lowest setting (of 6) and took some off the rear as well.
The new crop of reduculously fast 1100's like the raptor and new force TA run quite a lot of wing and are absolutely flying at the moment!