Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 17-08-17, 19:00

david.seaton will become famous soon enough david.seaton will become famous soon enough
I ran two single seaters in the past which could not self start.
It was a complete pain in the ass.
When I built this one it had a decent battery and a small alternator, so starts easily.
I wanted it such that I could run the car on my own if need be.
I do use a jump battery in the paddock to save the smaller on board one, but could not imagine going back to the scenario of depending on help if you stall on the line etc.
Old 17-08-17, 19:58

Smokey mow is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinm View Post
Writing as someone who would like to see all cars being self-starters, Steve Slowboy's comments are completely valid.

Clearly a rule such as this should not be applied retrospectively. I know the circumstances are slightly different, but just look at the hassle and expense applying previously ignored ROPS rules has caused.

A self-starting rule should only be applied, following suitable advanced notice, to cars built or first log-booked/passported after a certain date.

In the mean-time, I'm sure it would be feasible to introduce simple rules stipulating that non-self starters have markings to show where they CAN be pushed, possibly, in some cases, with the addition of strong points away from hot or rotating bits!
doesn't a similar rule to what you've described already exist in S10.3.3. ?
"10.3.3. Must be provided with a means of starting which does not involve push starting except in the case of force majeure, unless period defined."
Old 17-08-17, 22:05

wil_ker is on a distinguished road
I'd ban all GWR Raptors, especially Blue ones
Old 17-08-17, 22:28

gsyracer is on a distinguished road
I'd make a rule that stops idiots stopping motorsport because they find the noise annoying or they've moved near a venue and try to stop the events on environmental grounds.
Old 18-08-17, 08:21

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Ref: Noise, there are Laws about this topic and people use the Law. No venue has any rule to be above the Law.
Thus noise is our greatest risk.
Ref: Tyre spinning; simply stop it on reasons of noise and marshal safety.
Ref: Dirty paddocks; Loton does a double road sweeper sweep a day before we all arrive. We all drive in be it road cars or homes and trailers etc and bring general road dirt in on the Friday/Sat/Sun so the benefit is limited but crucial we do it. Many use ground sheets very effectively at all the Midland venues I know.
Ref: Marshals; they are rare, they are essential and they have far better jobs to do than tidy up. You can't use the Cadets as they are too young to be track side so can't sweep the start line. You will loose marshals in an instant if they have to sweep the start line to clear up mess. To clear oil from a blown engine etc, sure, but not housekeeping so people have a stone-free pre-start, every time.

IMHO I think the rules we have already are fine for running a meeting, and all Clubs are well versed in organising their venues.
I would simply stop wheel spinning, apply a real 60 seconds rule delay allowed for the runner following the car in front to get staged and not to exceed competitor numbers comfortable to a venue's capacity.

A third run or a practice on Sunday morning would possibly need an early start and a reduction in runner numbers to guarantee it.

Who is going to volunteer to loose their entry to reduce the numbers to enable the field of cars to pass through 3 times, inc possibly 2 x Top !2 run offs and allow a contingency for a major incident to be dealt with, and sometimes to wait while a Church Service is completed!?

Oh, and we all want to finish at a reasonable time, let's say 5.00pm latest, prize giving 30 mins later etc.
As a Marshal your day starts at 7.30 and finished about 12 hours later. It is too much.

We will loose marshals and all this debate will be over for us all.

Last edited by Lolat492; 18-08-17 at 08:54.
Old 18-08-17, 09:02

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Crikey Steve, I guess you must be a regular volunteer marshal and can supply an army of others to tackle this huge task along with all the other work required in people's spare time to put on an event?
Liverpool Motor Club hire a road-sweeper truck and have the track and paddock cleaned before every event. This leaves the marshals to do what marshals normally do.
Old 18-08-17, 11:30

gsyracer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolat492 View Post
Ref: Noise, there are Laws about this topic and people use the Law. No venue has any rule to be above the Law.
Thus noise is our greatest risk.
Oh I know, but aimed at the people who decide to move near a circuit or venue within, say a 10 mile radius, then complain about the noise.

Thunder makes more noise than a screaming V8 yet no one complains about that
Old 18-08-17, 11:46

EMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsyracer View Post
Thunder makes more noise than a screaming V8 yet no one complains about that
Thunder tends not to last all day, at least in the British Isles. while an event can be almost non-stop, expecially if lunch time is cut short.

Personally, I'd rather have the screaming V8, or even better, a V10 or V12. Some F1 teams used to use Kemble airfield for straight-line testing, and the noise from that was brilliant, although at several miles distant from my house.
Old 18-08-17, 13:12

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
The occasional irritating noise tends to be forgiven by those who demand peach and quiet ove a weekend, but when the same noise goes on all day...it becomes a very different matter.
On every Wednesday evening the whole of the West Midlands motorcycle fraternity speed (as in SPEED) past my back garden on a ride out.
Some nice bike sounds, Harley's, and Lambrettas.
Drives my next door mad!

Model aeroplanes stuffed the banned fate some years ago. you try finding one local now.
Yapping dogs drive me mad, some think it is ok, etc.

We must take care of noise or we will be lawfully stopped from making any at all.
Old 18-08-17, 20:14

Orbital is on a distinguished road
Noise is definitely the biggest issue we have, although us the competitors and those involved aren't really bothered by it and will enjoy the sound of a big V8 on full chat others don't

I live just over 4 miles from castle combe and can clearly hear cars on track not only on race days but even track days. I could see how someone living in Castle Combe or tiddlywink could get fed up with hearing it very loudly.

Cutting out Tyre spinning will help and anything that cuts the time taken to get the cars up the hill means I get an extra run in im happy with.