Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 17-08-17, 10:20

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentimingstrut View Post
The rule of not cleaning tyres would be the unfair to competitors parked on the grass on slicks . Parking on a hard surface would give an advantage if Tyre cleaning was disallowed.
tyre cleaning was not the question, spinning the tyres at the start seems to be the op suggestion.
Old 17-08-17, 11:51

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
Crikey Steve, I guess you must be a regular volunteer marshal and can supply an army of others to tackle this huge task along with all the other work required in people's spare time to put on an event?
I would have thought that if the drivers are worried, they could cover that one themselves between runs..
Old 17-08-17, 12:12
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Plenty of other cars in the paddock that need external assistance to start - not just mine!
But yes Chris, not possible to package a starter on my car; believe me I'd much prefer to not have that hassle.

But, it's all about being prepared, bringing the help you need - I agree that it's not fair to expect marshalls to help the cars get ready - they have their own jobs to do.

On-topic;

If you're not ready for your run / ready to leave your paddock space when you're called, then I think you should lose that run. (unless, during practice and before your batch you've requested dispensation from the CoC/Paddock marshal because of issues/problems).

Sunday morning practice on two day events should be a must.
Old 17-08-17, 12:30
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlowboy View Post
Plenty of other cars in the paddock that need external assistance to start - not just mine!
But yes Chris, not possible to package a starter on my car; believe me I'd much prefer to not have that hassle.
A bit off topic, but as I don't know your car, could you explain why you cant include a starter system. I am sure you don't have a Manx or an old JAP engine so how do you start it in the paddock, with rollers. I am sure others would be interested. Thanks.......
Old 17-08-17, 14:29

fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about
capable of multiple starts???? how would this be enforced??? multiple starts in front of the scrutes until your batteries flat???/ and what's all this tyre cleaning,my tyres tend to shed any crud or stones as soon as i dump the clutch all on their own...or am i just lazy
Old 17-08-17, 14:31
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
The packaging of the engine in the chassis (Suzuki GSXR1100W / PCD Saxon) is such that the starter motor, alternator and sprag clutch / reduction gearing assembly have all been removed to allow space for the exhaust primaries and induction system.

It's not possible to retrofit the assembly without desigining and making a new tub!

The crank has an extension to it with large hex nut that allows an external starter motor to be "plugged in" by a willing helper to start the engine.
Old 17-08-17, 14:54

Manxseven is on a distinguished road
One thing I've often wondered when some cars are dragging their heals getting to the line, is to have a countdown clock, once a car has left the line, you have X seconds (time dependant on venue) to get to the line/line up ready to receive the green light.
Old 17-08-17, 15:08

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxseven View Post
One thing I've often wondered when some cars are dragging their heals getting to the line, is to have a countdown clock, once a car has left the line, you have X seconds (time dependant on venue) to get to the line/line up ready to receive the green light.
Thats fine if you have enough space to get the next car past the errant one. At Loton or Shelsley it's more time consuming to roll a car back from the start area than to let it go up the hill .

On the subject of unwrapping perhaps a line where by which tyre must be unwrapped . That line being some way back from the existing tyre warming .

So you have car on line . 2nd car on tyre warming and 3rd car unwrapping

Of course you would need a marshal constantly sweeping up the pig droppings as they fly over the paddock

Hasta
Old 17-08-17, 18:09
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
It isn't so many years since I saw a top runner break a drive shaft on the line at Shelsley Walsh, drop back a few feet and waited until his team changed it. Don't think he even got out of the car.....
Old 17-08-17, 18:39

Colinm is on a distinguished road
Writing as someone who would like to see all cars being self-starters, Steve Slowboy's comments are completely valid.

Clearly a rule such as this should not be applied retrospectively. I know the circumstances are slightly different, but just look at the hassle and expense applying previously ignored ROPS rules has caused.

A self-starting rule should only be applied, following suitable advanced notice, to cars built or first log-booked/passported after a certain date.

In the mean-time, I'm sure it would be feasible to introduce simple rules stipulating that non-self starters have markings to show where they CAN be pushed, possibly, in some cases, with the addition of strong points away from hot or rotating bits!