Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-17, 09:02
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
But what does ambient mean?

The temperature of the surrounding environment, especially as unaltered by direct human intervention.

So rolling the car out from under the gazebo, to warm in the sun, is ok?
Leaving wheels & tyres in the tow car (for security) is ok?
Wrapping freshly cleaned tyres is ok?

Are we expected to drive through water troughs next to normalise temperatures?
Old 12-08-17, 10:39
John H

speedsport is on a distinguished road
I'm didn't think that it was the original intention that this regulation would ban the spinning of wheels in the pre-start area to clean tyres. But taken literally, that is what it says.

Banning the spinning of wheels prior to the start was proposed by Speed Committee a couple of years ago on safety grounds, but was withdrawn for further discussion. As far as I know, that process is still ongoing with the intention of making it venue specific.

Maybe the reg is intended to ban the spinning of wheels too, but we need someone from the relevant MSA committee to give a definitive interpretation of the regulation before the start of the 2018 season.
Old 12-08-17, 10:49

gixxerthou is on a distinguished road
I am in complete agreement with any attention paid to the elimination of pre-start tyre warming by spinning the wheels. The practice has been outlawed for some time at most of my favoured sprint venues. This year (so far) I've only had to endure a gravel shower at Croft when a BSC V8 monster spun it's wheels. So unusual has been the practice, that I was caught off-guard on car positioning.

However, that's for what I enjoy. I can't see how the BTD this BTD rule can apply sensibly to drag racing. A major part of the spectacle for me (I can't be alone) are the pre-run burnouts. The noise, the smell, the atmosphere that is Santa Pod.
Old 12-08-17, 10:56
Pasty Power

RobertT will become famous soon enough
We dont 'do' tyre 'spinning / cleaning / warming' at Anglesey Sprints and I carnt say it detracts from the day one bit. I dont do it at Aintree either.
Old 12-08-17, 12:27

gsyracer is on a distinguished road
I used to "warm" my tyres on my rally car but have stopped from the simple reason that they are so frigging grippy as they are and don't need warming up (Dunlop x22 compound) - FWD too.

Having said that, I do spin my tyres at our sprint location as you leave a dusty car park and have endless amounts of sh... on your tyres.

I like tyre spinning/warming or whatever it has been defined as but personally I think it's an individual thing. If people want to line lock their front brakes and rev the sh... out of their engines and rear tyres then go for it.

Logical says the bigger the rear wheels, the more crap that will fly off so stand out of the way or hold back if in a car to avoid smashed windscreens or visors.

My 2 cents worth.
Old 12-08-17, 12:31

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerthou View Post
I am in complete agreement with any attention paid to the elimination of pre-start tyre warming by spinning the wheels. The practice has been outlawed for some time at most of my favoured sprint venues. This year (so far) I've only had to endure a gravel shower at Croft when a BSC V8 monster spun it's wheels. So unusual has been the practice, that I was caught off-guard on car positioning.

However, that's for what I enjoy. I can't see how the BTD this BTD rule can apply sensibly to drag racing. A major part of the spectacle for me (I can't be alone) are the pre-run burnouts. The noise, the smell, the atmosphere that is Santa Pod.
I completely agree, I have never understood the need to spin the wheels up in a vain attempt to add some heat to the tyres. I would love someone to prove to me that a few seconds of tyre spinning adds enough heat to a soft compound tyre to make any difference at all.
Old 12-08-17, 12:40
Freelance Wing Mangler

image is on a distinguished road
As I can never recall a runoff competitor not spinning up the rears I would guess they feel there's some benefit to be had..... And that's drivers who pay big bucks for the engines and drive-train they're stressing!
Of course, they could all be really superstitious and not want to change their startline ritual.... Or just hooligans who like the noise!! . :-)
Old 12-08-17, 12:46
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Ive never span them to warm the tyres as it does very little unless you lock the rears and stay sat there spinning for 6 seconds none stop. Only when the pits are such a state with stones which is often the case "up top" at Prescott do you feel the need to try and clean them with a quick spin. As often stones get pulled down to the start line over a weekend. Places like Loton/Gurston/Shelsley I find the pits very clean and "pickup" is very little.
Old 12-08-17, 15:00

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdog View Post
I completely agree, I have never understood the need to spin the wheels up in a vain attempt to add some heat to the tyres. I would love someone to prove to me that a few seconds of tyre spinning adds enough heat to a soft compound tyre to make any difference at all.
As most people used to clean the fronts in the paddock and then spin up the rears to effectively clean them just before the start I would argue that this practice should be OK, still given the rather vague "clarification" one shouldn't try to double guess the MSA given their track record.
Old 12-08-17, 15:03

Colinm is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever done any thermal imaging of tyres pre-and post warming - and, more importantly, after sitting on the line waiting for the green light?

I have often wondered whether tyre 'warming' really generates enough heat in the time/distance available to raise the temperature and retain it until the light goes green?

I can accept that there may be a case for tyre cleaning, but, having acted as a start-line marshal at Loton a couple of times, two thoughts occur to me:

1) The paddock at Loton is pretty clean anyway, so there is relatively little muck or gravel to be picked up and cleaned off in the first place. I fully realise that this may not be the case at other hills.

2) Having seen quite a few 'cleaned' tyres just before launch, I suspect that all that has happened is that the tyres have been cleaned and then warmed sufficiently to make them sticky so that they pick up the previous cleaner's sh*t, leaving the tyres in much the same condition as before the cleaning process started.

For me, personally, running 1a tyres and an open diff, tyre warming is a waste of time as all I do is spin one wheel to no great benefit. What I do do, especially in the wet, is do a practice start to evaluate the grip available. How will practice starts be treated under this new rule.

The new tarmac at Loton has also made quite a bit difference - I haven't been able to spin my wheel off the line once, but my 64ft times have all been around 1/10th better than my previous best.