Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-17, 22:19

Lordtets is on a distinguished road
Scrutineers advice please

Having a bit of an argument (mainly with myself) over the standard production regs in the blue book.

After having to give up rallying in the mid 90's i'm now in a position to have a crack again and the hillclimb / sprint has my interest having attended a few as a spectator this year.

I have a Toyota MR2 Roadster which I can enter in the standard production class but I could do with a bit of advise on the regs as they state standard pattern parts only.

The MR2's came with factory fitted options such as uprated springs which i'm not sure would be acceptable.
They also have 185 tyres on the front and 205's on the back so could I use 205's all round as I don't like the staggered set up.

Lastly, I don't fancy doing any sort of motorsport without a cage, especially in a convertible. The regs state all the interior must stay, but to put a cage in means removing the rear plastic luggage bins or cutting 80% of them out. Would it be ok to do so?

If there is a scrutineer near Manchester that would welcome me for a short time or give me some phone time i'd be appreciative.

thanks
Steve
Old 06-08-17, 22:26
Skoda leg end

Alpinepg will become famous soon enough Alpinepg will become famous soon enough
Are you talking basic standard classes or road modified - because there'a big difference between the 2.
Old 07-08-17, 07:50

It's the new standard car class SB i'm looking at.

The issue is, there were quite a lot of factory options on these cars and I don't want to have to swap the springs - The other bits on mine were only air con, leather etc so not an issue but the lowered springs may be.
Old 07-08-17, 08:42

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Taking each in turn..

1. If it was an option available from the manufacturer (and in the brochure), there should be no issue with the uprated springs.

2. Tyres. Blue Book states that standard tyres and wheels should be used. I would just say that the 205 tyres were standard for the MR2 (which is mostly true as they were used on the back).

3. Can't see how anyone would have a problem with the cage (it's recommended in the Blue Book). Just retain as much trim as possible and that would be entirely reasonable.
Old 07-08-17, 10:35

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Would agree with (1) above - if it came with it from the factory, then that's standard spec (just make sure you have the necessary paperwork to prove it, eg the brochure listing it).

Would also agree with (3).

Less sure about (2) - 205's were standard on the back (and will no doubt be listed as such in the brochure). If you put them on the front, the argument is that they are not standard fitment on the front so it'd no longer be standard. I'd ask for clarification from the Tech.Dept. at the MSA on this point.
Old 07-08-17, 12:11

giollakris is on a distinguished road
scrutineer's advice

come to Scammondam on Saturday there is a hillclimb so I will look over yer car fer ye
saves on cost of coming out to ye
Old 07-08-17, 18:40

thanks for all of your replies
I'll try and find an original list with the factory options.

I'm down South this week but if I can get back and make it on Saturday i'll bob over.

thanks again
Steve
Old 08-08-17, 13:42

RennyT is on a distinguished road
I'd be happy with it in Standard Production Category if it ran the standard (or option) tyre sizes.
Old 08-08-17, 15:04

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
185 to 205 if it results in a different circumference than was previously used, may make ABS or other car systems unhappy.

sometimes the car may have different widths, but also different profiles so circumference is similar...but not always. So factor that in with such a change.
Old 11-08-17, 06:16

cheers Renny

Stevie - The fronts are 185/55 and the rears 205/50 to give the same rolling circumference (or near as damn)