Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-17, 21:25

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
We sell them still. They are NPN sensors.

12v supply, so not from the ECU.
Old 05-08-17, 12:55

jouhar will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
Traction will work if one front and one rear are working - speed differential front wheels to rear (from experience !)
It might - but it won't work very well. A sophisticated system needs a sensor on all 4 wheels. The time when you really want TC would be, for example, putting the power down while exiting a tight corner, and in this scenario the turning circle of the two rear wheels is different and the decent TC software will account for this when determining how much slip is acceptable.
Old 06-08-17, 17:00

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
If only using one driven sensor, and your setup is happy with the number of teeth used etc....a sensor mounted on the diff/propshaft would be better than any single driven wheel.

Unless of course you've an extremely tight or solid rear diff so there is zero slip between the driven wheels. Then one driven wheel speed sensor would do

2 on the undriven wheels isnt really needed, unless the car has a habit of putting a wheel airborne for extended periods. For most, 1 undriven will work just fine
Old 06-08-17, 17:18

No Imagination will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Something like that would only need a very very small fuse. Although more typically they'd be fed off the ecu's 5v rather than 12v. Although some sensors may ask for 12v.

In this case if the 12v line has shorted...maybe a good thing it wasnt connected to the ecu in case it damaged something there !

Always route wiring safely.
Yes,
DTA expects wheel speed sensors to be wired to use 5v supplied by the ECU - not to say that 12v will not work, but I would use 5v sensors e.g. Honeywell 1GT101DC (which I've used for years and are only 30 quid) wired according to DTA wiring suggestion:-

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_fi...%20Diagram.pdf
Old 06-08-17, 17:21

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
The NPN sensor just pulls the output to ground, so 5/12v wont matter in this instance.

GT101 can be used with 5v or higher than 5v too
Old 06-08-17, 19:02

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Imagination View Post
Yes,
DTA expects wheel speed sensors to be wired to use 5v supplied by the ECU - not to say that 12v will not work, but I would use 5v sensors e.g. Honeywell 1GT101DC (which I've used for years and are only 30 quid) wired according to DTA wiring suggestion:-

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/download_fi...%20Diagram.pdf
Our ECUs can use either 5v or 12v sensors; 5v is not a requirement.

The items shown, if bought from us, will be 12v though.
Old 12-08-17, 06:53
The Empire Strikes Back..

Clive Austin will become famous soon enough
Just to add my ten penneth...

You could run traction control of sorts with a single sensor by measuring front wheel speed directly and deriving rear speed from a combination of gearing and rpm.

We run an S80 upgraded to S100 with traction and launch in the Wraith. I got my Hall sensors from Alan "Mad Mini Evo Nutter" McDonald. He is normally to be found around the paddock at most meetings. They were a different fitment to yours though so it depends on your mounting options. Mine just pick up on wheel bolts on the back of the hub at the front and I made a toothed chopper wheel for the rears to make it a cleaner signal.

Sounds like you have a short somewhere though - just hope you haven't cooked your ECU. Alex is a top chap though and will sort you out.

Happy to help if I can if you want to nab me at the next meeting or PM.

C
Old 12-08-17, 14:07

jouhar will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Austin View Post
Just to add my ten penneth...

You could run traction control of sorts with a single sensor by measuring front wheel speed directly and deriving rear speed from a combination of gearing and rpm.

C
Yes - it would be traction control "of sorts"..... why not just do the job properly and measure the speed of all 4 wheels independently... that's the way the software works best.... anything else is just a bodge... IMHO, of course 🙂