Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 25-07-17, 23:00

Manxseven is on a distinguished road
Formula Ford - How to get into one

Hi Guys,

Spent a great day at Gurston on Sunday, my local hill.
Hillclimb a Cooper S about 12 years ago, got married have a 10 y/old and just finished a mammoth garden project, so have a bit more "free-time" now.
Looking to get back in competing and have a Clio Williams 1 in the garage which requires a little re-commission, but after owning the Cooper S for 21yrs before selling, I can't seem to have the enthusiasm to work on the Clio.

So, been thinking about a FFord for some time, looks a great fun and enjoyable way into a single seater and affordable?

Can I ask you guys for real world experiences and are costs reasonable?
Seem a few for sale without engines, so I presume the engines are sought after and expensive?
Is it straight forward to build your own engine?

As it can't tread into family finances, it would be by selling Clio plus spares and a couple of other parts I have, about £8K in total I reckon.

Apart from Race Cars Direct are there any other sites and forums to look at.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
Emmens

Last edited by Manxseven; 25-07-17 at 23:02. Reason: Grammer
Old 26-07-17, 08:32

rupturedduck is on a distinguished road
Its a great class and the regs' ensure that it doesn't turn into a weapons race and we all have relatively level playing field. The cars are great fun to drive and respond well to setup changes. We love it!

£8k is less than I spent separately on a car and engine. Parts are plentiful and I've not had problems sourcing anything so far, including engine. As the regs are strict (we even have to run mirrors, rain lights and extinguishers), you must ensure the engine fully complies (REGS CAN BE FOUND HERE). It is simpler to get one that has already been built to comply, as if you make a mistake and some go faster bit is in there that shouldn't be, it'll show in the splits and speeds. There are plenty of engines out there.

Running costs are peanuts. Tyres are about £350 and will last you two seasons easily, or you can buy a set for £100 or less that have just done the Walter Hayes Trophy and have plenty of meat on them. Rebuilds should be few and far between as a seasons hillclimb should have less wear than one circuit race!

There is a speed Formula Ford register which is worth getting involved with.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by rupturedduck; 26-07-17 at 08:35. Reason: layout
Old 26-07-17, 09:31
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Contact Alan Cornock he has FF cars for sale through his company, www.racingcarsforsale.co.uk 01480 860020 Nice showroom as well. Fair to say, he is Mr. Formula Ford.
Old 26-07-17, 11:44

Just make sure its a pre-1994 car!
Old 26-07-17, 21:50

Thanks for the reply's, much appreciated.

rupturedduck - you mention - "There is a speed Formula Ford register which is worth getting involved with".

I can't seem to locate it, please can you give me a link?

Off on hols to Bude, Cornwall for a week on Friday, so will give it plenty of thought on the way forward, whilst on the beach or joining the millions in Padstow!!

Cheers,
Simon
Old 26-07-17, 21:58

It's in its first year and is done via email. I can PM you a contact email if you like?
Old 26-07-17, 22:07

Yes please,
Thanks for swift response.
Old 27-07-17, 13:45

Mike Wood is on a distinguished road
'Swift' response, there are other manufacturers available too!

Any recommendations on an affordable manufactuer's chassis and year including easily available spares? Worth looking on Classic FF Register pages? Are there some years less of interest to circuit classes but would be good practical hillclimber in FF classes?

Cheers
Mike
Old 28-07-17, 06:23

Swift!

I've a Swift FB91, the 92 and 93 seem popular due to a different suspension setup. Going older (1960s 70s) he more historical a chassis the higher the value. If you look at the results from Gurston last weekend then you'll see a mix of years and makes throughout. "You pays your money and makes your choice"! You shouldn't lose money on any pre 1994 FF1600.

Universal Racing have good access to parts http://www.universalracing.co.uk/, Swift are still trading at Castle Combe and I've sourced bodywork from them. There are people like Jo White at Vulcan Dezign who can fabricate most anything else you may need.

Hope this helps! Maybe someone else with wider knowledge than i will join in shortly!
Old 28-07-17, 21:10

Andrewm is on a distinguished road
Hi Simon,
I used to run a Mini at Gurston then went into ff1600 but we were always up against the 1600cc racing car classes which inevitably meant we were at a disadvantage against bike engines etc.

If there was an ff class then, I would probably still have my Van Diemen RF85 now. Interestingly enough, the times are not that different now to when i ran in 2004/5.

I would own another ff in a heartbeat - they are such nice cars to drive and work on. Not ideally suited to hills as the tyres never really warm up, but you are all on the same playing field, so not an issue.

Dermot Healy currently has a decent looking Reynard rolling chassis for not a lot of money that would allow you to buy a half decent motor to keep within budget.

They are appreciating financially, so one of the few cars in life you could consider an investment!

I'm currently rebuilding a 750mc Locost with a 1300 xflow, so have been doing the rounds with engine bits, so can confirm you could put a reasonable motor together yourself for not a lot of cash. However, a competitive one that would stand up to circuit racing will cost accordingly.

It was a fantastic turn out at Gurston - good to catch up with a few old classmates too.