Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 13-01-17, 01:02

MGFMINI is on a distinguished road
sports Libre tyres 2017

Happy new year everyone,
Just looking at tyres for coming year and bit baffled by blue book as sure I read free choice...is that from the recommended list but if so which section? sure I have missed a trick somewhere...

Will be running 16" x 7" wheels on a space framed sports libra mini around 190-200bhp (well hopefully). Just starting so if anyone has any ideas of a good tyre I would be grateful of any advice. is there an intermediate that is is moderate in both wet or dry conditions as may only have one set of wheels and or funds to settle the car in

Thanks in advance
Old 13-01-17, 03:52

sr3rad is on a distinguished road
You can use whatever tyres you want. Have a look at BMTR site to get an idea of sizes, cost and compounds available.
Good luck with the build.
Old 13-01-17, 09:25

ben240z is on a distinguished road
avon slicks. Paul Punnett runs a 6r4 rep on them with very good results. Come over and have a look sometime. Ben
Old 13-01-17, 13:30

Bunman is on a distinguished road
If I had only 1 set of tyres for all occasions I would go for 205/45/16 Kumho V70 / V700's in soft.
Great in the dry and not too bad in the wet either.
Old 13-01-17, 13:49

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Bunman is absolutely correct.

I've run on those tyres (soft) on 3 sets and the tyre is perfect. You can even use them legally on the road.
You might find the sizes restrictive, but worth checking them.
About 1/2 the cost of A15 AVON crossplies!
Old 13-01-17, 19:59

No Imagination will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunman View Post
If I had only 1 set of tyres for all occasions I would go for 205/45/16 Kumho V70 / V700's in soft.
Great in the dry and not too bad in the wet either.
Great advice - if you are starting out you will probably not make full use of the extra grip provided by slicks and of course running in the wet will be an issue.

I've driven a quick full competition spec GT3 on the Kuhmos and they really are good - (not driven them in the wet though).
Old 13-01-17, 21:41

Thank you so much everyone for your sound advice and gives me a great starting point.

Obviously (as sure you are all very aware of!) the cost of getting the car done is far more than my initial, "optimistic" thoughts....but am enjoying every aspect of the build, will try and post some photos at some point.

I started out with 18" wheels but alas as things have moved on they have proved to large so will be selling them soon, along with the fitted slicks, a steep learning curve! never mind will get there in the end

Thanks again
Old 14-01-17, 00:00

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Good. Luck with the build, and please do a thread on the adventure!
As a
Libre driver, albeit over 2 litre, it is a great class to run in and it takes a lot to get these cars right, 6 years development in my case...

Press on!
Old 22-01-17, 18:39

Thank you and will try and get some photos together to do a thread, highlighting the problems and tribulations....such as just finished tacking the floor pan in that i had pressed up (of course I had taken my measurements with the 18" wheels fitted, before deciding to back to 16".....idiot!) popped the 16" wheels back on, took it off the axle stands and the ground clearance is now less than the blue book minimum, and in fact is low enough to give an ant a hair cut, so next job is to remove my nice shiny steel work, get the excess sheared of and re flanged start again...ah well live and learn
Old 24-07-17, 14:31

Phil_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFMINI View Post
Thank you and will try and get some photos together to do a thread, highlighting the problems and tribulations....such as just finished tacking the floor pan in that i had pressed up (of course I had taken my measurements with the 18" wheels fitted, before deciding to back to 16".....idiot!) popped the 16" wheels back on, took it off the axle stands and the ground clearance is now less than the blue book minimum, and in fact is low enough to give an ant a hair cut, so next job is to remove my nice shiny steel work, get the excess sheared of and re flanged start again...ah well live and learn
can anyone point me to the blue minimum ground clearance? and is it specific to sport libre?

many thanks.

Phil