Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Projects Forum for the discussion and showing of Uphill Racers members projects

Old 13-10-16, 20:54

KBS-CVT is on a distinguished road
V8 Two stoke in Hill Climb car

Hi

I have been persuaded to create a Project thread for the new Hill Climb car I am now constructing.

I love two stokes and have in the past re-modeled a Berkeley 492 by fitting a 500cc - 95hp Rotax engine which I got up Shelsley in 72 secs. Then I built the CVT development car - a f500 KBS chassis with 600cc Rotax (135hp) + CVT transmission which went up Shelsley in 35.05 secs. Following a very bad accident exiting the top "S" at Shelsley, my family persuaded me to slow down, so I bought, restored, and converted to EFI a Marcos GT fitted with the Essex V6 (220hp finally) which went up Shelsley in the 43 second area. The Marcos is now sold to finance the V8 project.

So the "NEW" engine is a V8 two stoke made by OMC in the USA which powered the John Player Special outboard race boats which Colin Chapman (Lotus) ran during the 1975 - 85 period. Two of these are now in a container from USA to me arriving late November. It will be installed with a horizontal crankshaft.

The car is a Davrian Sports car built mid 1990's for a Silverstone 24 hour race where it achieved fastest lap fitted with a Cosworth 275 hp engine. Currently the car design is being fabricated by Lynx cars as a Prosport LM3000.

The transmission will be a CVT system which I learnt a lot about from the KBS, great potential to keep the V8 on its maximum power rpm.

This is the start of the project - I will need help on lots of potential problems - noise - EFI - Ignition for a V8 - 45 degree crank - EGT sensors to shut down if piston seize conditions arise - air-fuel ratio sensors to control the EFI as some cylinders require more fuel to keep cool - 145 degree F water coolant temperature - lubricating the main & big end needle roller bearings - would methanol reduce engine/coolant temperatures - can I install a separate 3 cylinder engine inside the car, using 1 cylinder to produce compressed air for 10 to 15 psi supercharger boost pressure as per the DKW engine etc.etc.

ANYONE with info/help/advice - please PM me.

It will be late 2016 before I start posting build details.

Here are photos of the car and of a similar engine with 8 carbs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.0 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg P1010346.jpg (102.1 KB, 279 views)
Old 13-10-16, 21:35

Greasynipple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBS-CVT View Post
Hi

I have been persuaded to create a Project thread for the new Hill Climb car I am now constructing.

I love two stokes and have in the past re-modeled a Berkeley 492 by fitting a 500cc - 95hp Rotax engine which I got up Shelsley in 72 secs. Then I built the CVT development car - a f500 KBS chassis with 600cc Rotax (135hp) + CVT transmission which went up Shelsley in 35.05 secs. Following a very bad accident exiting the top "S" at Shelsley, my family persuaded me to slow down, so I bought, restored, and converted to EFI a Marcos GT fitted with the Essex V6 (220hp finally) which went up Shelsley in the 43 second area. The Marcos is now sold to finance the V8 project.

So the "NEW" engine is a V8 two stoke made by OMC in the USA which powered the John Player Special outboard race boats which Colin Chapman (Lotus) ran during the 1975 - 85 period. Two of these are now in a container from USA to me arriving late November. It will be installed with a horizontal crankshaft.

The car is a Davrian Sports car built mid 1990's for a Silverstone 24 hour race where it achieved fastest lap fitted with a Cosworth 275 hp engine. Currently the car design is being fabricated by Lynx cars as a Prosport LM3000.

The transmission will be a CVT system which I learnt a lot about from the KBS, great potential to keep the V8 on its maximum power rpm.

This is the start of the project - I will need help on lots of potential problems - noise - EFI - Ignition for a V8 - 45 degree crank - EGT sensors to shut down if piston seize conditions arise - air-fuel ratio sensors to control the EFI as some cylinders require more fuel to keep cool - 145 degree F water coolant temperature - lubricating the main & big end needle roller bearings - would methanol reduce engine/coolant temperatures - can I install a separate 3 cylinder engine inside the car, using 1 cylinder to produce compressed air for 10 to 15 psi supercharger boost pressure as per the DKW engine etc.etc.

ANYONE with info/help/advice - please PM me.

It will be late 2016 before I start posting build details.

Here are photos of the car and of a similar engine with 8 carbs.
Two stroke supercharged v8 sounds great, methanol would make a big difference to your cooling. One question, if you want to go to all the effort of fitting another engine for the supercharger why don't you drive the blower directly with the second engine.... a nice little vfr400 would make the right wail and run a huge blower in the mean time
Old 13-10-16, 23:06
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Dkw Lloyd and several other engines tried bump charging without any real success might be better to run a supercharger from the crank
Old 14-10-16, 10:36

Adam is on a distinguished road
I think you should talk to Nick Mann about supercharging Peter!
Old 15-10-16, 09:35

The current plan is to:

Refurbish car
Instal the V8 as is: 8 carbs with single exhaust.
Test run to appraise its potential.
Fit EFI and 8 EGT sensors for warning of piston seizure.
Machine off the existing "Single exhaust Chamber" and create 8 separate outlets with 8 expansion chambers.

Whilst waiting for delivery of car & engines, I need to finish the current 3 year project to rebuild the 1932 AJS - Jensen car. The body was destroyed circa 1950. I found the chassis, engine, g'box and axles. I found a photo of the car in Beaulieu car museum and have re-built the complete car - myself.
Just the folding hood frame to construct and cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0435.jpg (119.2 KB, 100 views)
Old 15-10-16, 18:05

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
This is going to be a good thread.

Do these 2 strokes 'throttle' well or are they a bit full blast?
As a boat racing engine I doubt a delicate throttle response is top of the list?

My 2 stroke experience is a trio of Lambrettas and soon a single cylinder 1949 Terrot bike engine, so I know nothing, but will learn a lot following this thread.

Thanks for taking the plunge to bare-all on a project thread.
Old 15-10-16, 20:08

Ho Lola 492

The secret for throttle control is to apply pressure like you are breaking an egg shell! With 500hp coming in on the throttle - look out.

Not like I did at Shelsley top S with my development KBS-CVT - floored it and ended up going through the original wire safety fence with cows admiring the car!! Thankfully Shelsley have now installed a decent safety barrier.
Old 17-10-16, 13:29

sambeeb is on a distinguished road
Using turbos to help cut your noise levels could work. But is it even possible to get turbos working with 2 stroke exhaust systems? I've no idea what firing order/frequency your crank would produce or how expansion chamber design would play out but I wonder if it would be possible to somehow group complimentary exhaust pulses and run them through twin turbos or a twin entry single turbo.
Old 17-10-16, 20:00

Adam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambeeb View Post
Using turbos to help cut your noise levels could work. But is it even possible to get turbos working with 2 stroke exhaust systems? I've no idea what firing order/frequency your crank would produce or how expansion chamber design would play out but I wonder if it would be possible to somehow group complimentary exhaust pulses and run them through twin turbos or a twin entry single turbo.
I'm sure some old two-stroke diesel engines used to run a combination of super/turbo, turbo generating most of the 'boost' but super enhancing the pressure differential across the cylinder.

Nick Mann's setup would be ideal
Old 17-10-16, 20:18

tr7v8 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm sure some old two-stroke diesel engines used to run a combination of super/turbo, turbo generating most of the 'boost' but super enhancing the pressure differential across the cylinder.

Nick Mann's setup would be ideal
Two stroke diesels wouldn't run without FI, normally superchargers, but newer ones run turbos.