Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 26-12-15, 10:15

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Thanks, I need to pull the Redtop out and see what it's rating is. It has been very very strong and was very old when I was given it with the Lola 6 years ago.
Must be 10 years old.
I'll find out and email Allan for a quote.
Old 26-12-15, 11:02
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
My RedTop 30 is now 12 years old and appears to be still going strong. I think that if I have to fit a Li battery I would also have to fit an alternator as the type of hills that I do are so long that I need to be sure that I have start up power as I dont have a starter battery to plug into when away from the paddock which may be 2 kms away.....
Old 26-12-15, 11:56

jwhillracer will become famous soon enough
My battery is HJTX14H, Alan's mid-range one. I can't tell you what the figures are for it, but it has worked perfectly since installed.
It was originally in R L-G's 911 GT3, but couldn't handle all of the electrickery in that which was continuously plotting and using current when Robert wasn't looking. Luckily my old car a/ has an alternator, and b/ when it's switched off, it's off, no fancy bits running. It should be perfectly OK in the Lola, Graham for the same reasons. Just lose the 8kg yourself, Graham, shouldn't be too difficult on pensioner rations..............
That will be 16kg off the Lola then - win-win!

JW
Old 26-12-15, 12:02

guilleracing is on a distinguished road
I'm with you Red, I have a 21AH fire alarm battery. "Cost new" about £35.00

It will run my car for an entire weekend without an alternator or charging and generally gives 25 starts over the course of an event without any complaints.

I would be interested in seeing if those who run the Li batteries actually have any real data on whether these lightweight batteries actually produce an improvement in actual times as opposed to giving the drivers "A placebo" effect.
Old 26-12-15, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilleracing View Post
I would be interested in seeing if those who run the Li batteries actually have any real data on whether these lightweight batteries actually produce an improvement in actual times as opposed to giving the drivers "A placebo" effect.
It's another of those imponderables, which ought to be correct, as you are shedding 10 kg from the vehicle, in my case.
But then, I can't be bothered surforming off my expensive "dead" Avon rubber and covering the tyres with cling film between each run, metering out the exact amount of fuel into a tiny lightweight fuel tank for each run, or saving weight and reducing engine losses by removing the alternator............

Each to their own, one of the beauties of our sport!

JW

PS - I'll settle for the placebo effect if it saves 0.1 sec!

Last edited by jwhillracer; 26-12-15 at 12:15. Reason: afterthought
Old 26-12-15, 13:53

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
Thanks Jonathan, good info. Allan has been in touch with a good offer.

This year the old Redtop gave me a few moments when it was not as athletic as it was, esp if I had driven the car to it's paddock spot, say at Prescot the day before to save some pushing and shoving. Just that nagging feeling all was not quite as it used to be, bit like the driver really....

As for surforming and clingfilming and all that, I'd rather watch the quicker guys and have a cuppa and a chat.

Allan: I'll be back when I have a permission....
Old 26-12-15, 14:59

andylaurence will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilleracing View Post
I swapped the red top in your old ADR for a lithium pack. A few other mods brought the weight down and the car went lots faster.
Old 26-12-15, 15:26

Thinking about it - the "placebo effect" would only occur if you swapped your existing 8kg battery for a small one which still weighed 8kg, and you then went faster.................

JW
Old 26-12-15, 16:35

guilleracing is on a distinguished road
But Andy, what did you gain from the reduction in the weight of the battery please?
Old 26-12-15, 17:20

andylaurence will become famous soon enough
From the weight of the battery alone? I don't know. I could simulate it, but not on my phone. The key thing is that weight loss equals performance. Lose a little weight and you'll go a little faster. Lose a lot of weight and you'll go a lot faster. 8kg is a significant percentage of a small car. The only time removing weight won't help is when you're running a car that's traction limited and produces lift...