Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Projects Forum for the discussion and showing of Uphill Racers members projects

Old 20-08-15, 22:14

ancillotti rob is on a distinguished road
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
Look forward to seeing you out in it. Single seaters are just such a pure driving experience
You have had a few good ones Nick.
Old 22-08-15, 17:50
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Radical loaned me a superb trailer today, in to which we squoze the car. And 14 wheels and tyres. The other tyres went in the back of the BMW.

Shame I had to take it back. I want one now.

The car is home. Now the journey begins.

And MrsTheWife tried the car for size. She liked it a lot.
Might need another race suit and helmet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0426.jpg (119.8 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0430.jpg (121.4 KB, 221 views)
Old 24-08-15, 10:45
#UNLEARN

Couple of pics from Saturday.

This is all loaded up before we left. We did strap the car down differently before we departed, Woody gave us some hints and we ran the straps through the rims rather than over the tyres, in case the trailer had a blow out, to stop anything from moving.

All unloaded, I invited the wife to see if she fitted, and she did. In fact she sits in it better than me. I cant get the head protection on when I'm sat in the car because of my height so I need to do something about that.

I started her on Saturday, once I'd worked out which buttons did what. Sounds amazing. The burble from the turbo is awesome, and when I blip the throttle, the turbo spins up, and she pops and bangs.

Plan is to take all the bodywork off, and go from the nose to the tail, sorting out the wiring, checking all the nuts and bolts, looking for anything that needs replacing etc. Full safety check.

And I've already started cleaning her, so she's looking tidier already. My eye for detail is working over time.

She is chassis number SJ01-014, manufactured in 2012
James Abbott won two races in her.
Old 24-08-15, 11:18

magicaltrev is on a distinguished road
If you haven't already done so, work out how to get it into neutral and reverse!

It's the 'T' shaped toggle on the left control panel. Just needs a slight tug (not too hard) whilst you push the lever into neutral/reverse.

I imagine you already know from our email conversation but these things get lost in the mass of text.
Old 24-08-15, 11:25
#UNLEARN

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicaltrev View Post
If you haven't already done so, work out how to get it into neutral and reverse!

It's the 'T' shaped toggle on the left control panel. Just needs a slight tug (not too hard) whilst you push the lever into neutral/reverse.

I imagine you already know from our email conversation but these things get lost in the mass of text.
Yes, done that Andrew. My son put in in to gear, so I had to get it back in to neutral so I could start the engine.

Does yours also have the black pull lever to hold the brakes on? Never seen that before, but I guess, there's a lot about single seaters I need to learn.
Old 24-08-15, 12:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
Yes, done that Andrew. My son put in in to gear, so I had to get it back in to neutral so I could start the engine.

Does yours also have the black pull lever to hold the brakes on? Never seen that before, but I guess, there's a lot about single seaters I need to learn.
It had a button on the steering wheel to do that but it's been disconnected. Not sure we'd have a use for it so I don't think there's too much impetus to reinstate the feature.
Old 24-08-15, 14:18
Ex Radical owner

Radical will become famous soon enough Radical will become famous soon enough
Graham,

Single seaters can feel very strange and claustrophobic till you get used to it. When I got my FF Hawke (before the Radical) I couldn't fit the belts at all, after a while I could fit the belts but only before putting on the helmet, by the time I sold it, no problem with the belts at all.

Angus
Old 24-08-15, 14:31

As Andy and I double-drive we've developed/we're developing a simple process of what happens in what order. It takes the stress away from the changeover and helps as there's then two people to check safety equipment.

Next simple mod is to glue some of neodymium magnets in various positions to hold the belts in place as it's a PITA once you've sat down on top of them!
Old 24-08-15, 15:24

DaveK is on a distinguished road
What about shock cord as used in gt racing ?
Old 24-08-15, 15:34

Possibly, I'd be concerned about cords trailing across the cockpit during use. Simple magnets will be safe and mean we can simply snap the fasteners against the cockpit sides out of the way. I've yet to work out how to do similar with the crotch straps though.