Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > General > Literature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Literature Discussion of books and hillclimb/sprint related writings, and for FLoads to regail us on the happenings in his weekly Beano.

Old 01-08-15, 17:25

JMLBrown will become famous soon enough
Wiscombe Park blog

This is now online here
Old 01-08-15, 23:33

chris h is on a distinguished road
Estate Car

John,

I think the estate car you refer to in your blog was Simon Bainbridge's Audi RS6 in which he competed at the Kirkistown BSC round in 2009 after he had problems at a previous round with his Audi TT replica.

Chris.
Old 02-08-15, 11:04
Out

Mr Jan Yeo is on a distinguished road
The space at the top of the hill is far too small for a paddock, you'd also end up with added time to running the meeting that would mean running 130 cars + 40 bikes (as happens on some of the club events) just wouldn't be viable.

As for the crowd thing, well hillclimbing isn't actually that interesting as a spectator. BTCC has got it right because there's close racing and crashes, which is what Joe Public wants. For the same reason Rallycross is having a resurgence. However it was definitely a stunted crowd last week, but that's pretty much down to the weather. We've had more up there on club days and it's probably the oil drippers of the VSCC that get the largest crowd (despite them charging twice the price for spectators). So maybe that's the key to getting people watching, get rid of the traction control single seaters and everyone start chucking pre-war crap up the hill!

BTW there was someone that entered a VW Passat estate at Wiscombe last year, although I can't really remember the reasons why.
Old 02-08-15, 20:46

muttleyracing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jan Yeo View Post
BTW there was someone that entered a VW Passat estate at Wiscombe last year, although I can't really remember the reasons why.
That would have been my father after he broke the 500 before his 1st practice run!!

Andy
Old 05-08-15, 07:21
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I sprinted a CitroŽn Bx estate in c1993 at Curborough
It was a tad slow
Old 05-08-15, 09:04
Spectacularly admonished

iranoff will become famous soon enough iranoff will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttleyracing View Post
That would have been my father after he broke the 500 before his 1st practice run!!

Andy
Andy, that is my recollection from last year. When I saw the car coming up to Saw Bench I thought your dad was on a quick trip home for some parts for the Alfa-Dana.

IFIRC there was diesel BMW 5 series estate at Shelsley some years ago but the otherwise excellent Resultsman doesn't distinguish saloon from estate. I'm sure that was another 'distress substitution' when the competition car had failed but it's far too long ago to remember the details.
Old 05-08-15, 18:43
Grumps

Mike Reed is on a distinguished road
Peter Sexton ,RS 6 Avant at a very very wet Longleat , I remember sitting in the car in the Top Paddock watching Touring Cars on the dash TV......
Old 05-08-15, 21:21

Colinm is on a distinguished road
I recall seeing a Subaru Forester at Loton, must have been 2012 as it was when we were just thinking seriously about taking to the hills and considering our options. I'm pretty sure it was substituting for something else that was out of action.
Old 05-08-15, 23:17

ben240z is on a distinguished road
I seem to recall we had a volvo estate touring car (might have been a replica) competing at Gurston a few years back
Old 06-08-15, 16:58

JMLBrown will become famous soon enough
Jerry Sturman has come up with the one I was thinking of:

But certainly, in 2006, Steve Miles, after breaking his Van Diemen's gearbox at Friday's Kirkistown BSC round, drove his 2.2td Mercedes C220 estate towcar in the British sprint run-off there at the follow-up round on the Sunday - and scored points with it (as the ninth of nine starters)! Check back through your old Speedscenes and you'll find the story and a pic in issue 140, P36/37.