Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-16, 02:08

RaceMag is on a distinguished road
Simple multi-element wing analysis tool

Pardon the oxymoron in the title, as simple and airfoil analysis do not normally go together, but I found this online.

http://www.hanleyinnovations.com/mefoil.html

I need to make up a front and rear wing for my 750cc car and was interested in finding out if anyone had used this?
Old 12-07-16, 11:20

rmmitchell is on a distinguished road
Not use this code, but many similar (including 2D and 3D Navier-Stokes and Viscous coupled Euler and Panel Methods) Patrick Hanley is a friend of friends, and has excellent background in this kind of thing.

Panel codes can be very useful, but, like any CFD needs informed handling.

Forgive me if I am already telling stuff you already know but:

But it's not cheap ($40/month $400/year) for the Lite (Panel Method/Vortex Lattice codes with Bounday Layer solver) and you have to pay $2.5K/year for the full Navier-Stokes

So it's more expensive than OpenFOAM and less expensive that ANSYS/ Fluent or Star CD...

Front wing aerodynamics tends to be highly 3D bit of flow so 2D Multielement has to be approached carefully. It has its place, but needs to be used with care.

If you're very techie, then OpenFoam is the best solution (Opensource, but tricky to set up and validate)

Have you thought about asking Steve Fiddes (ex RAE, Ex Prof at Bristol University) and Chris Burkett (Ex Leyton House March F1) at Flow Solutions about the cost NEWPAN? I used to use it lots years ago and it was a popular approach in F1 before computing power and Navier stokes codes became cheap(ish) and effective. www.flowsol.co.uk

Hope this helps.
Old 12-07-16, 13:02

RM thank you for the reply and I agree that the software is expensive and had considered http://microcfd.com/ as well, which has the features at a cheaper price point. I had a good look at Openfoam but fear it is beyond my meager abilities.
Have no fear about passing on information, I am a beginner in such matters and I appreciate all input. I recognise that it would perhaps be simpler to follow a known path and buy a wing, but it just goes against the grain!
Any other hints welcome.
Old 12-07-16, 14:10

rmmitchell is on a distinguished road
Have you read Enrico Benzing's book?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ali-Wings-T.../dp/8879115391 (though it's cheaper elsewhere).

A good start if you are designing wings. Now affordable since it was reprinted.

If you did want to buy one Simon McBeath at the Wing shop does this kind of work for people, I believe.

But why ruin the fun by buying off-the-shelf? :-)
Old 12-07-16, 15:42

crwoost is on a distinguished road
Simon McBeath highly recommend where wings and things are concerned.
Old 12-07-16, 23:02

I know Simon does good work and have heard nothing but good things about him, but even with the pound having dumped it would soak up too much of my budget for the next couple of years. Besides I have 60m of 200gsm spread tow CF and another 10m of 200gsm twill CF in the workshop, so I can probably have a go at making one or two and indeed - that's half the fun for me. Not knowing 'why' is like an itch I cannot scratch, I can ignore it for a while but it'll always irritate at some level!
I have made a wing before using Benzing's profiles and it worked well enough, but I haven't read his book. I do have McBeath's and Katz's books. Even if I have a stop-gap design to get the car running at least I'll have a baseline.
I know most on here will have seen this this, but I found it interesting: http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~mb4/xin_zhang/55.pdf
Old 13-07-16, 06:08

magicaltrev is on a distinguished road
Digressing slightly but what method would you use to make a wing yourself? It's on my to-do list and have pondered the various ways.
Old 13-07-16, 06:57

LaurenceM64 is on a distinguished road
I'd say your chances of getting decent lift and drag numbers out of a CFD code as a raw beginner were pretty much zero.. maybe I'm too pessimistic here but it isn't just a matter of pushing a few buttons. It gets complex if you want a decent answer. I'd go with Mcbeath and Katz..
Old 13-07-16, 10:00

magicaltrev is on a distinguished road
I have a tried and tested aero profile to use ;-)
Old 13-07-16, 10:04

Gavin.M is on a distinguished road
Have a look at http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javafoil.htm
It's free and runs in a browser, you'll need to get around the Java warnings, or run it local on your computer. It can do multi element with ground effect etc.
Enjoy.