Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Tech Talk For questions & answers and regarding PC's, Operating Systems, Connections and all things computer related. Apple Mac not spoken here.

Old 28-08-17, 16:49

fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Ya know...I was going to ask if any welding had been done...but as you didnt mention it, nor did I.

I personally have never had any problems welding cars with ecu's still connected ( or more usually batteries still connected.....although that said, I do have a habit of disconnecting the battery in my car pretty much anytime it's parked up but I'm sure I've done some welding with it connected )

But the same cannot be said for others. This applies to any ecu or car really. It is good practise to disconnect the battery before any welding work is carried out, and failure to do so has caused problems with electronics for others.

So it certainly could be possible it has caused issues.

As Alex says, you need to see if it's recognising the crank turning...ie good crank signal, no or very few errors on diagnostic screen, and then you could manually test things like spark via the ecu to see if all those features work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epogi4YKMZ4&t=12s

or maybe just try reloading the map back into the ecu ? Do you have this saved somewhere ?
i do isolate the battery and we have tried to re install the map but as mentioned previously none of us can find it. it is not in the list of maps,2 of my old ones are their but no sign of the latest one its been running on
Old 30-08-17, 13:56

cannot get booked in at mappers so had another go.computer will not recognize ECU (again). tried to follow instructions that came with converter to set the com port number from mr fox but that shows ports inbetween other devices and processors, nothing like that on my computer so am goosed. any suggestions? (other than the usual ones that i'm told to do)
Old 30-08-17, 19:22

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
As I mentioned on FB.

Back to basics...is the ecu alive ?

Does fuel pump prime on key on ? Is there any sign of live at coils or injectors during cranking

Is there a 5v supply at any relevant sensors ?

Does the ecu have power, verified on both 12v and ground pins at the ecu ?

ie...is it even alive in order you can communicate with it ?

Then has the computer/lead combo you are using worked to communicate with 100% reliability in the past ? If not...find one that has.

All those stupid serial adapters always give trouble. Find a laptop with a serial port, or bring ecu indoors and power it up and hook it up to the home PC serial port

But you need to verify it is alive first.
Old 30-08-17, 19:27

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Just seen update, what sorted it ?
Old 30-08-17, 21:28

Quote:
on with that steve. dug out my old xp laptop if i can find the charger will try that tomorrow. if it connects will re load the map and see. have a spare crank sensor to try as well. just discovered that the resistor from the kill switch has popped so the lad who did the loom suggests that might have spiked the ECU and corrupted it. try again tomorrow
Old 30-08-17, 21:43

But the ecu does appear alive from above tests ? If so, that's a good sign.
Old 30-08-17, 22:37

its got more life in it than me at the moment how i'm feeling. tomorrows another day
Old 30-08-17, 23:15

Quote:
just been on carls page steve, he says its sorted. news to me. will find out in the morning
Old 30-08-17, 23:21

Yea, it was on FB I seen him say that
Old 31-08-17, 19:42

car is now running. a certain gentleman who makes wheels will say that it is because i had the leads on the coil pack wrong but since that was the first thing we checked,and actually tried it with the leads the wrong way round just to see, and it made no difference. i even put a brand new bosch coil pack on which had the numbers stamped on it and it still made no difference. when carl took it to the tuners though who re installed their map and it fired up. still cannot get communication with the ECU though. dug out my old laptop with a serial port on it and bought a lead to connect directly with the ECU and it still says not present or turned off. have yet to find a laptop with "ports com and LPT" on it and i have looked on 7 laptops so far. think alex will be getting an e mail for a bit of helpful advice