Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > British Hillclimb Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 24-04-17, 18:54
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
Feels like we're kicking off the same discussion again
I'm with ash, we need to all work together
It's easy to be critical of the lawns .....and yes they could have posted a note somewhere ref the lack of drive by on Sunday...at least they sent a note to competitors after the event...and also acknowledged some deficiencies in there actions on Saturday
Old 24-04-17, 19:50

Westwood will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshM View Post
I for one wish to remain competing at venues like Prescott and we have to face it we the competitors are responsible for that noise.

I have fallen foul on noise and have taken measures to reduce. It is not easy as a competitor or an organiser to control so I'm not surprised its taken some hard work and tough decisions to get there.

If we dont control noise we will loose more venues regardless of us liking or not.

So lets work with the clubs to get a sensible solution.
Totally agree, and I think it's good they contacted us. They just need to communicate with the drivers properly, on the day and after. Stuart has contradicted himself in his email, by saying they would take time to look into a solution then saying it would stick with the drive by solution.

I think that banning tyre warming would be a huge move in the right direction.
Old 24-04-17, 19:58

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Reducing the other surrounding noise sources and tyre warming would help. Once tyre warming was stopped then the PA could be wound down and rebalanced so that the speakers nearer the start were lower in gain. That would make a marked difference.
However, other events that take place at the Gotherington Show Ground have a much higher noise ceiling than a BHC/MHC hillclimb I find.
I have never measured the level at a Prescott Bikefest (probably because I haven't been to one) but the Shelsley Bikefest was running 10db(A) louder floor last September than any hillclimb with the exception of VSCC day.

Some light reading and spin for you here

Last edited by Fireblade; 24-04-17 at 20:20.
Old 24-04-17, 20:17

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
I think the big issue currently is the 'them and us' attitude, we all need to understand the reasoning behind the need to reduce the noise levels ie we lose a venue! and then all work together on a solution. Within the hillclimbing community we have lots of clever people who by experience or career, are well placed to offer advice on the various issues. We have exhaust designers, race car designers, sound engineers etc all within our midst. I think a 'working group ' made up of representatives of the venue, and those who can offer tangible advice on a way forward, would be a great start. Wouldn't need to be purely Prescott based, noise is and will continue to be a speed event wide problem. As Ash has eluded, as competitors it's our responsibility to ensure our cars don't lose the rest of us the venue at which we can compete. Representation from all sides of the argument is key for me, as the message will get communicated properly

As I have seen it, the clubs/venues have gone one direction and haven't communicated their plans to the paying competitors very well. That said, some competitors have hardly responded in the most constructive ways either. A group made up of all factions would enlighten all I'm sure and with a more cohesive 'direction ' we will all be competing at venues for many more years. A reliable and repeatable method of recording the sound levels is a must and i think at prescott, this is where they have struggled. Intention was right I'd say, but the application and methodology was potentially flawed. I'm sure constructors would be happy to look at exhaust design, routing and silencing methods to assist, as without effort on their part, no venues equals no market place for their cars.
Advice and maybe even articles on here and other platforms, showing the methods of quietening a competitors car that are found to work well would also help massively. From what I understand from friends in OEM road car manufacturing of exhausts, things like the shape and angle of exhaust outlet will have a large effect, often as big as increasing silencer size. I'm sure they are many other 'tricks ' that will help all.
We all have a part to play, but we need a formalised plan of 'all party action ' not competitors vs venues imho
Craig
Old 24-04-17, 20:25

bentimingstrut will become famous soon enough
Well said Ash & fully agree. That said the communications between Course Management / organisers and competitors needs improvement at this venue in particular. Noted by many on many occasions. It's not about the message but more about how it's delivered.
Old 24-04-17, 20:52
'Onward and Upward'

TheEsses is on a distinguished road
Pink Noise

May be 'Off Track' or maybe helpful
Just been watching Chasing Classic Cars whilst reading about Noise Levels on came Wayne about to take his 'new' Brough Superior out when Roger his mechanic explained to him the exhaust was to remove Pink Noise and make it quieter, seems it was used by Pratt and Whitney. think Velocette used one as well.
Anyone had any experience..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pink Noise.jpg (65.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 24-04-17, 21:02

oldman is on a distinguished road
Noise Tickets

I too was given a ticket for 110db, then another helpful competitor managed to get a printout of our class noise levels from the office and I was recorded at 81db on that printout not 110 db given too me on the ticket, so the ticket quite rightly was cancelled and they were more than fair in admitting that there was something wrong with the system, so fair play to the powers that be, but quite how an MSA noise test can be carried out legally between two buildings baffles me as I believe the blue book states that an area clear of buildings and back ground noise should be used, so it might be difficult to enforce that. I think the locals need to be aware that some times if the wind is in the right direction then a few pops and bangs may be heard in the area. I personally think that the best way to shut the odd moaner up is to get them involved with raising money for a local charity of their choice at one of the events held there, that way the problem may well disappear.
Old 24-04-17, 22:00

ancillotti rob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I too was given a ticket for 110db, then another helpful competitor managed to get a printout of our class noise levels from the office and I was recorded at 81db on that printout not 110 db given too me on the ticket, so the ticket quite rightly was cancelled and they were more than fair in admitting that there was something wrong with the system, so fair play to the powers that be, but quite how an MSA noise test can be carried out legally between two buildings baffles me as I believe the blue book states that an area clear of buildings and back ground noise should be used, so it might be difficult to enforce that. I think the locals need to be aware that some times if the wind is in the right direction then a few pops and bangs may be heard in the area. I personally think that the best way to shut the odd moaner up is to get them involved with raising money for a local charity of their choice at one of the events held there, that way the problem may well disappear.
Mike I can tell you as a spectator, now you are duratec powered you are a lot quieter than when you ran kv6. It was an easy assumption to make as George followed you up the hill. Shame as I loved the noise
Old 25-04-17, 06:16
Return of The Sith

team knifedge will become famous soon enough team knifedge will become famous soon enough
on a more positive note - many thanks to all the marshalls ...no lunch break and a very long day
Old 25-04-17, 07:26

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEsses View Post
May be 'Off Track' or maybe helpful
Just been watching Chasing Classic Cars whilst reading about Noise Levels on came Wayne about to take his 'new' Brough Superior out when Roger his mechanic explained to him the exhaust was to remove Pink Noise and make it quieter, seems it was used by Pratt and Whitney. think Velocette used one as well.
Anyone had any experience..
Interesting contribution but I think Roger the Mechanic maybe more at home with a 5/8 AF spanner than an audio spectrum analyser

Pink noise has equal energy per octave and there is relevance in the Pratt and Whitney application due to the part of spectrum that cause the nuisance.
Audio meters used in motorsport, and many other areas of potential nuisance, measure the audio level in db(A) @1KHz which is at the start of the band where the human ear is more sensitive, see Fletcher-Munson curve.
Interesting results can be obtained on a portable spectrum analyser when in the vicinity of a car fitted with a jet turbine for example.