Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > British Hillclimb Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 24-04-17, 14:08

Judd is on a distinguished road
A noise-meter in the tyre warm area, with a large display visible to the driver. Bust it into the red twice while tyre warming and back away from the line. Easy!
Old 24-04-17, 15:25
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
Oh, thats fine

If they also considered ending bands, can can displays, steam organs etc that would lower the ambient noise floor.
Then they could lower the PA level.
Once these steps have been made then just running the cars at their current level should be enough to stop any moaning.
Just line the track with Leylandii, or put a roof on the place.
Old 24-04-17, 15:28

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Now you're just being silly
Old 24-04-17, 15:31

dalesman is on a distinguished road
you say turn the pa down fireblade i would be happy if it was turned off as yesterdays tannoy information wasnt very good at all
Old 24-04-17, 17:34

xtr2turbo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesman View Post
you say turn the pa down fireblade i would be happy if it was turned off as yesterdays tannoy information wasnt very good at all
Sorry but I disagree. Commentary does make it better for spectators and even the knowledgeable ones were using it to record the running order for the top 12 etc

My only comment is that at times it would be better if they had a guest speaker at times through the day with more detailed knowledge of certain classes

If you think commentary is bad ... go to any French hillclimb event.
Old 24-04-17, 17:35

Westwood will become famous soon enough
Email from Prescott.......Discuss!!!!

Prescott Hillclimb – 22/23 April 2017

Thanks to all competitors on what was both a busy and successful weekend of racing at Prescott. We were blessed with perfect conditions on both days and some tremendous competition across the classes.

As you will know, the Bugatti Owners’ Club has been running drive-by noise assessment for the past six seasons and first introduced a venue specific noise protocol at the start of the 2015 season. This has been very successful in helping to reduce the overall noise generated at both our events and, of course, elsewhere. We thank competitors for doing their very best to adhere to the restrictions.

Our noise management is a pro-active approach intended to ensure the longevity of our sport and of course our fabulous venue. This weekend we experienced some inconsistent and erratic readings which resulted in us taking the difficult decision to suspend the protocol for the entire meeting. We will now spend a period of time reflecting on our next steps, liaising with the MSA and further developing conversations with other venues that use drive-by noise monitoring technology.

In the short term we will revert to “Plan B” and as we did on Sunday randomly test competitors via the MSA standard ˝ metre methodology. We will continue to take measurements via our drive-by noise monitoring equipment, but for data gathering purposes only. Sanction will only be applied for failures of the ˝ metre test as detailed in the MSA “Blue Book”. This position is unlikely to change for the rest of the 2017 season.

Our medium to long term plan is to site the drive-by noise monitoring equipment in a permanent and stable position to ensure our equipment gives us consistency while ensuring that we take advantage of best practice in this discipline. We will give you more information as we progress our development in this area.

Should any of you wish to discuss this please contact me either by email or by phone at the Club Office.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you at Prescott and other venues throughout the season.
Old 24-04-17, 17:38

bentimingstrut will become famous soon enough
My Saturday was also blighted by being served a yellow card for an an alleged 108db for my first practice run by the noise police. Much stress ensued to add further silencing to my car. I attempted to acquire further noise results from the organisers only to be told that the officials where either too busy or in a meeting. I was dumbfounded on my arrival on Sunday to hear the second hand news that the equipment was probably faulty. No body spoke to me all day regarding Saturdays infringement yet they seem very keen to deliver the bad news. I understand that other competitors had even more complex engineering challenges to overcome in an attempt to further silence cars.
Old 24-04-17, 18:06

xtr2turbo is on a distinguished road
I guess it is positive that the faults have been acknowledged and they acted before it became a farce again.

If noise is an increasing issue at venues and threatening our sport, perhaps the MSA should fund expert, informed proposals centrally that can apply across the board.

Whoever Prescott are using is clearly out of their depth. They were again taking readings after the start line next to banking and marquees etc

Prescott will always be a tricky venue due to banking and hard reflective structures. I would have thought it would make more sense to be measuring at a distance such as on the members banking near to commentators hut or near semi circle. This will be closer to what local residents will hear.

Incidentally I think the loudest car on Sunday was the brown metro with a broken exhaust.

David
Old 24-04-17, 18:21

AshM is on a distinguished road
I for one wish to remain competing at venues like Prescott and we have to face it we the competitors are responsible for that noise.

I have fallen foul on noise and have taken measures to reduce. It is not easy as a competitor or an organiser to control so I'm not surprised its taken some hard work and tough decisions to get there.

If we dont control noise we will loose more venues regardless of us liking or not.

So lets work with the clubs to get a sensible solution.
Old 24-04-17, 18:40

whimsy is on a distinguished road
Well said Ash