Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 14-09-17, 12:54

St Eval is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
It is possible to structure your regulations so that there is a "catch-all" class for cars running on tyres not in List 1A, 1B or 1C. I doubt that clubs would want to have multiple classes but I have seen a single such class being run. The cars in this class have to meet all the normal regs for "road going" but basically tyres are free. However, in this single class there are rarely more than 3 cars entered but occasionally a car will be transferred to the class due to running tyres not compatible with the class they entered.
If running on 1c tyres they should be in modified, 1a and 1b only for road going.
Roy
Old 14-09-17, 13:22

Martin F is on a distinguished road
There is a way for a car to run tyres not on List 1A or 1B in a road going category !

Compete in a car that was built before '77
Old 14-09-17, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin F View Post
There is a way for a car to run tyres not on List 1A or 1B in a road going category !

Compete in a car that was built before '77
A lot of effort, so that you can run on 1c's that probably won't fit your rims.
Old 14-09-17, 15:56

Martin F is on a distinguished road
Roy

it's there so that pre '77 cars can run on tyres that might not be on any list
Old 14-09-17, 19:49

P20SPD is on a distinguished road
From memory, 1c tyres can only be used in race events, or mod prod and above in speed events!

Changing car to a pre 77 car sounds far more wasteful of money than changing tyres to suit!
Old 14-09-17, 23:35
Ex Radical owner

Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
It is possible to structure your regulations so that there is a "catch-all" class for cars running on tyres not in List 1A, 1B or 1C. I doubt that clubs would want to have multiple classes but I have seen a single such class being run. The cars in this class have to meet all the normal regs for "road going" but basically tyres are free. However, in this single class there are rarely more than 3 cars entered but occasionally a car will be transferred to the class due to running tyres not compatible with the class they entered.
No Steve, such a class would break the Category definitions for series production. The tyres must still be on the list otherwise the car and the class would need to satisfy the Modified or Competition categories with the additional safety etc requirements.

Yes I too have seen these classes being run, looks like they were introduced when the "Northern Clubs" decided to limit to only list 1A tyres and the guys on 1B tyres needed somewhere to play.
Old 15-09-17, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
No Steve, such a class would break the Category definitions for series production. The tyres must still be on the list otherwise the car and the class would need to satisfy the Modified or Competition categories with the additional safety etc requirements.
Like what I said, post 31 I think.

From a Southwest point of view (mine anyway) as coordinator. I would like to go back to black round, E marked road legal tyres. Reason, this allows new competitors to start competing with their road car without having to buy a set of tyres from a list, on top of helmet, suit and gloves. We are losing newbies all of the time because of this.

Roy
Old 15-09-17, 10:01

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Got to agree with that keep it simple, black round and E marked to attract newcomers, why make complication and expense?
Old 15-09-17, 10:05

GrahamV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Eval View Post
Like what I said, post 31 I think.

From a Southwest point of view (mine anyway) as coordinator. I would like to go back to black round, E marked road legal tyres. Reason, this allows new competitors to start competing with their road car without having to buy a set of tyres from a list, on top of helmet, suit and gloves. We are losing newbies all of the time because of this.

Roy
Hi Roy,

You make a very valid point:

A young lad I know from Dorchester is very keen to try the sprint at Clay Pigeon in October. I think its an ideal venue for him to start - friendly event, relative low speeds, lots of track time and plenty of fun.

We chatted last week about what he needs to do to get himself and his car up to spec. I can lend him gloves, helmet, race suit, yellow tape, etc ... so from a safety perspective he can dip his toe in the water.

The problem is that he has a new set of non-list Hankook tyres on his car and he just can't afford to ditch these and buy another new set.

So I think your suggestion is very sensible - the above is just one small example how the current tyre regulations impact potential newbies. This adds to my frustration that the MSA don't keep competitors informed about their decisions regarding tyre lists - i.e. lack of minutes. Imagine if he goes out and buys a new set of List 1A tyres only to find out they drop off the list in 6 weeks time?

Last edited by GrahamV; 15-09-17 at 10:17. Reason: tpyo
Old 15-09-17, 10:45

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamV View Post
Hi Roy,

You make a very valid point:

A young lad I know from Dorchester is very keen to try the sprint at Clay Pigeon in October. I think its an ideal venue for him to start - friendly event, relative low speeds, lots of track time and plenty of fun.

We chatted last week about what he needs to do to get himself and his car up to spec. I can lend him gloves, helmet, race suit, yellow tape, etc ... so from a safety perspective he can dip his toe in the water.

The problem is that he has a new set of non-list Hankook tyres on his car and he just can't afford to ditch these and buy another new set.

So I think your suggestion is very sensible - the above is just one small example how the current tyre regulations impact potential newbies. This adds to my frustration that the MSA don't keep competitors informed about their decisions regarding tyre lists - i.e. lack of minutes. Imagine if he goes out and buys a new set of List 1A tyres only to find out they drop off the list in 6 weeks time?
you would like to think that they would let him run just for the day?