Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 14-09-17, 12:54
St Eval St Eval is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 239
St Eval is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
It is possible to structure your regulations so that there is a "catch-all" class for cars running on tyres not in List 1A, 1B or 1C. I doubt that clubs would want to have multiple classes but I have seen a single such class being run. The cars in this class have to meet all the normal regs for "road going" but basically tyres are free. However, in this single class there are rarely more than 3 cars entered but occasionally a car will be transferred to the class due to running tyres not compatible with the class they entered.
If running on 1c tyres they should be in modified, 1a and 1b only for road going.
Roy
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 14-09-17, 13:22
Martin F Martin F is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Martin F is on a distinguished road
There is a way for a car to run tyres not on List 1A or 1B in a road going category !

Compete in a car that was built before '77
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 14-09-17, 15:44
St Eval St Eval is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 239
St Eval is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin F View Post
There is a way for a car to run tyres not on List 1A or 1B in a road going category !

Compete in a car that was built before '77
A lot of effort, so that you can run on 1c's that probably won't fit your rims.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 14-09-17, 15:56
Martin F Martin F is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 14
Martin F is on a distinguished road
Roy

it's there so that pre '77 cars can run on tyres that might not be on any list
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 14-09-17, 19:49
P20SPD P20SPD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: York
Posts: 157
P20SPD is on a distinguished road
From memory, 1c tyres can only be used in race events, or mod prod and above in speed events!

Changing car to a pre 77 car sounds far more wasteful of money than changing tyres to suit!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 14-09-17, 23:35
Radical's Avatar
Radical Radical is online now
Ex Radical owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,406
Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
It is possible to structure your regulations so that there is a "catch-all" class for cars running on tyres not in List 1A, 1B or 1C. I doubt that clubs would want to have multiple classes but I have seen a single such class being run. The cars in this class have to meet all the normal regs for "road going" but basically tyres are free. However, in this single class there are rarely more than 3 cars entered but occasionally a car will be transferred to the class due to running tyres not compatible with the class they entered.
No Steve, such a class would break the Category definitions for series production. The tyres must still be on the list otherwise the car and the class would need to satisfy the Modified or Competition categories with the additional safety etc requirements.

Yes I too have seen these classes being run, looks like they were introduced when the "Northern Clubs" decided to limit to only list 1A tyres and the guys on 1B tyres needed somewhere to play.
__________________
2015 the year of the V8 postponed again
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 15-09-17, 09:30
St Eval St Eval is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 239
St Eval is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
No Steve, such a class would break the Category definitions for series production. The tyres must still be on the list otherwise the car and the class would need to satisfy the Modified or Competition categories with the additional safety etc requirements.
Like what I said, post 31 I think.

From a Southwest point of view (mine anyway) as coordinator. I would like to go back to black round, E marked road legal tyres. Reason, this allows new competitors to start competing with their road car without having to buy a set of tyres from a list, on top of helmet, suit and gloves. We are losing newbies all of the time because of this.

Roy
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 15-09-17, 10:01
kano nordie kano nordie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Kano Nigeria
Posts: 1,076
kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Got to agree with that keep it simple, black round and E marked to attract newcomers, why make complication and expense?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 15-09-17, 10:05
GrahamV's Avatar
GrahamV GrahamV is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 116
GrahamV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Eval View Post
Like what I said, post 31 I think.

From a Southwest point of view (mine anyway) as coordinator. I would like to go back to black round, E marked road legal tyres. Reason, this allows new competitors to start competing with their road car without having to buy a set of tyres from a list, on top of helmet, suit and gloves. We are losing newbies all of the time because of this.

Roy
Hi Roy,

You make a very valid point:

A young lad I know from Dorchester is very keen to try the sprint at Clay Pigeon in October. I think its an ideal venue for him to start - friendly event, relative low speeds, lots of track time and plenty of fun.

We chatted last week about what he needs to do to get himself and his car up to spec. I can lend him gloves, helmet, race suit, yellow tape, etc ... so from a safety perspective he can dip his toe in the water.

The problem is that he has a new set of non-list Hankook tyres on his car and he just can't afford to ditch these and buy another new set.

So I think your suggestion is very sensible - the above is just one small example how the current tyre regulations impact potential newbies. This adds to my frustration that the MSA don't keep competitors informed about their decisions regarding tyre lists - i.e. lack of minutes. Imagine if he goes out and buys a new set of List 1A tyres only to find out they drop off the list in 6 weeks time?

Last edited by GrahamV; 15-09-17 at 10:17. Reason: tpyo
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 15-09-17, 10:45
dopdog's Avatar
dopdog dopdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,085
dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamV View Post
Hi Roy,

You make a very valid point:

A young lad I know from Dorchester is very keen to try the sprint at Clay Pigeon in October. I think its an ideal venue for him to start - friendly event, relative low speeds, lots of track time and plenty of fun.

We chatted last week about what he needs to do to get himself and his car up to spec. I can lend him gloves, helmet, race suit, yellow tape, etc ... so from a safety perspective he can dip his toe in the water.

The problem is that he has a new set of non-list Hankook tyres on his car and he just can't afford to ditch these and buy another new set.

So I think your suggestion is very sensible - the above is just one small example how the current tyre regulations impact potential newbies. This adds to my frustration that the MSA don't keep competitors informed about their decisions regarding tyre lists - i.e. lack of minutes. Imagine if he goes out and buys a new set of List 1A tyres only to find out they drop off the list in 6 weeks time?
you would like to think that they would let him run just for the day?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright© 2007-2017 www.uphillracers.com