Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > British Hillclimb Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 26-04-17, 17:38

ben240z is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshM View Post
I find a tyre warming ban odd for alleged noise issues as the car is not likely to be making any more noise then the launch or a full power plus upshift. Plus tyre warming can be done in a controlled area.

Most of the noise generated is related to engine power (as well as silencer performance) and tyre warming is not usually done at full power.

Ok its another occurrence of noise during the day but I wouldn't have thought its the loudest. But if someone has evidence I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

For the spectator the tyre warming is a good sight and for the competitor there are benefits for tyres and mental prep.
Every 25 seconds (roughly) during the day someone will be tyre warming which generates engine noise and the tyres squealing. One of the complaints in particular was the constant tyre noise.
Stopping tyre warming at Gurston reduced the noise levels in the paddock and site considerably to the extent that competitors noticed that they could sit in the paddock area and have a conversation during the meeting. The pa was turned down. It made a big difference in noise levels.
And it did not bring on the prophesised " Hollow being littered with crashed cars OR WORSE" that was predicted by a certain Mallock pilot.
Thoughts are my own and do not represent those of Barcsw
Old 26-04-17, 17:56

Biggles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNHSS1 View Post
Is it the hard cut 'bangs', certain cars do sound like automatic rifle cracks or the deeper booming noise of saw the big V8s. No point in stopping tyre warming or us all sticking big silencers on, if it's the rev limiters/hard cuts as they will be largely unaffected by either of those methods to cure.
For info, a lot of SR's for rallies specifically state that vehicles that consistently 'bang' (as you put it) will be excluded.
Old 26-04-17, 17:57

RichardBrant will become famous soon enough
Since Gurston banned tyre warming have all the noise complaints stopped now?

Rich
Old 26-04-17, 20:00

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben240z View Post
Every 25 seconds (roughly) during the day someone will be tyre warming which generates engine noise and the tyres squealing. One of the complaints in particular was the constant tyre noise.
Stopping tyre warming at Gurston reduced the noise levels in the paddock and site considerably to the extent that competitors noticed that they could sit in the paddock area and have a conversation during the meeting. The pa was turned down. It made a big difference in noise levels.
And it did not bring on the prophesised " Hollow being littered with crashed cars OR WORSE" that was predicted by a certain Mallock pilot.
Thoughts are my own and do not represent those of Barcsw
That was the basis of my thoughts when I mentioned the other sources of QRM. Tyre warming has changing dynamics involved, from the short burst of acceleration, followed by the tyre squeal, culminating in the cars evetual leaving of the line.
Stopping it would allow the noise floor to drop quite considerably as well as the quietening of other noise sources.

However, nowhere do I state that I am in favour of tyre warming being banned. I am all for it and for many spectators it's what attracted them through the turnstiles in the 1st place.
Old 27-04-17, 07:51

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
I think the last sentence above is spot-on.
The £15 / day/each cost is high imho for a hill climb, but people pay this for many reasons, and the blast off so to speak is one of them. Look at the density of people at Shelsley's start line.

Many years ago we were asked to stop tyre warming at Prescott, I was in Class C on list 1A's back then. The man across the valley had complained of noise.
We did this and found the hill times were unaffected and the noise abated considerably. Even the man over the valley was happy. Road tyres are very noisy compared to slicks.

We had a noise issue with the Land Lord at Loton too and found the very same thing, the sceech of tyres and the public address were real issues as I heard for myself as I stood on Sir M's front door step. (remember he is very pro hill climbing)
We turned the speakers round 180 degrees and the improvement was very noticeable. The paddock marshal's voice was high pitch and loud which made matters worse.
Sir Michael was happy.

In all of this we all must be mindful of the threat of noise complaint to any of our motorsport venues, not just the ones we love.

We may have to loose some rituals such as tyre warming to ensure we can carry on.
Old 28-04-17, 21:43

CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about CNHSS1 has a spectacular aura about
Just been having a gander on face book and came across a post of a 1005bhp swb Quattro running at Prescott but looks to be at a non hillclimb event, maybe a retro rides or some other car event. The thing is quick but the anti lag is brutal like cannon fire and I'm guessing the exhaust has no silencers either, I'd bet my lunch money if wouldn't get past an msa static let alone drive by test!. Has there been any checks to ensure we, as lovely cuddly responsible MSA sanctioned and controlled hillclimbers aren't being lumped in with other Prescott events that make as much if not more racket?? Would be a shame to the hillclimb community do all it can to ensure we are quieter to safeguard the venue(s) to find it lost due to money making events of a non motorsport variety
Old 29-04-17, 16:36
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Yes that was retro rides. That event has since moved to shelsley walsh. I believe that upset many resistants tbh that event.
Old 01-05-17, 11:06

ponters is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrth View Post
We all had a lovely weekend at Gurston, so quiet you could hear the sky larks!
Fyrth I have sent you a PM