Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Tech Talk For questions & answers and regarding PC's, Operating Systems, Connections and all things computer related. Apple Mac not spoken here.

Old 26-08-17, 18:30

fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about
DTA instruction manual

as per title,does such a document exist. i have printed off their user manual but it doesn't instruct you how to do anything unless you know what you're doing. if i knew that i wouldn't need any instructions.
Old 26-08-17, 21:14
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
Pretty sure that's all there is - the S series manual.
There's also the DTA forum - some very helpful folk (Incluidng Alex himself) on there to help you along.
Old 26-08-17, 21:30

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
What are you trying to do?
Old 26-08-17, 22:19

understand how the basics work alex. i make a t rex look computer savvy. the car has an s80 and all was fine a week ago. now it wont attempt to fire never mind start. uploaded the maps from the ecu but the one it was running on isn't there,nor the 2 previous ones. the 2 maps we used to get it going last year are there though. something as simple as changing settings and saving it doesn't seem to be working. click on save map,then overwrite changes ,yes and then when you go back into it nothings changed. can a map disappear from the ecu?
Old 27-08-17, 14:27

Saving a map works like any other software on the PC. Click the save button, and choose where to save it.

If you save the map, it will be there. The only way it couldn't be there is if you've saved it to a different location on the PC.

If a map is on the ECU, it's not automatically on the PC. You must manually save it to the PC.

It's impossible for a map to disappear from the ECU. There will always be something there.

If the car won't attempt to start, it's most likely the crank (or cam sensor if there is one) has failed, or the wiring to it has become damaged.
Alternatively you've uploaded a map with different settings to your car to the ECU, so it isn't able to synchronise.

If you'd like me to have a look using TeamViewer, let me know.
Old 27-08-17, 15:56

thanks for the replies alex, taking car back to mappers on wednesday so hopefully it will be something like me.....simple
Old 27-08-17, 17:59

No problem.

However, I seem to have deleted part of my post.

Always start with the Diagnostic Display. Make sure the engine synchronises. If it does, it's a mechanical issue somewhere.
If not, check the crank scope, and make sure the values there match what you're expecting.

If your mapper gets stuck, they're welcome to give me a call.
Old 28-08-17, 13:10

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Basics....fuel, air, spark.

If none are present, then you can start looking towards the ecu, but it would be difficult from the outset to start blaming the ecu

And when you say it wont attempt to fire etc...presumably the engine is turning over ? and at a sensible speed ?
Old 28-08-17, 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
Basics....fuel, air, spark.

If none are present, then you can start looking towards the ecu, but it would be difficult from the outset to start blaming the ecu

And when you say it wont attempt to fire etc...presumably the engine is turning over ? and at a sensible speed ?
yep spins over great,doesn't drop the voltage as its doing so,have over 3 bar fuel,all injectors are working,all plugs are sparking. all sensors seem ok on testing page. all that we have done is to take the starter off and the coil pack to try on carls mini and put them back on. would welding up the crack in the boot floor at the panhard rod do owt to the ecu?
Old 28-08-17, 16:23

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Ya know...I was going to ask if any welding had been done...but as you didnt mention it, nor did I.

I personally have never had any problems welding cars with ecu's still connected ( or more usually batteries still connected.....although that said, I do have a habit of disconnecting the battery in my car pretty much anytime it's parked up but I'm sure I've done some welding with it connected )

But the same cannot be said for others. This applies to any ecu or car really. It is good practise to disconnect the battery before any welding work is carried out, and failure to do so has caused problems with electronics for others.

So it certainly could be possible it has caused issues.

As Alex says, you need to see if it's recognising the crank turning...ie good crank signal, no or very few errors on diagnostic screen, and then you could manually test things like spark via the ecu to see if all those features work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epogi4YKMZ4&t=12s

or maybe just try reloading the map back into the ecu ? Do you have this saved somewhere ?