Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Rules & Reg's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-09-17, 18:22
Lordtets Lordtets is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 13
Lordtets is on a distinguished road
as a newcomer for next year in the standard roadgoing it would be nice to know a bit in advance. The Continental Premium Contacts I have at the minute are definitely not at the performance end of the scale but are starred on this years list. It is going to be a big expense in the scheme of things, considering i am having a go on the "cheap" for a season to see if it's for me!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-09-17, 19:20
Dan Friel Dan Friel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 281
Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordtets View Post
as a newcomer for next year in the standard roadgoing it would be nice to know a bit in advance. The Continental Premium Contacts I have at the minute are definitely not at the performance end of the scale but are starred on this years list. It is going to be a big expense in the scheme of things, considering i am having a go on the "cheap" for a season to see if it's for me!!
I suspect that they will stay on. List should be available sometime in November.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-09-17, 20:31
Alpinepg's Avatar
Alpinepg Alpinepg is offline
Skoda leg end
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,017
Alpinepg will become famous soon enough Alpinepg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by team knifedge View Post
Must be groundhog time of year...didn't we have a similar thread this time last year ?
That's because it's a constant problem that the MSA continue to run with year on year......in fact they, made it substantially worse by introducing list c last year.
__________________
Diesel - just say no
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13-09-17, 08:58
Steve Wilkinson's Avatar
Steve Wilkinson Steve Wilkinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southport
Posts: 4,359
Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamV View Post
To remove any doubt the minutes from the MSA Production Tyre meeting should be available to competitors - the very people that fund the MSA. This would allow competitors to plan for tyres / expenditure.
I doubt very much that the MSA will allow minutes of meetings to be published so that competitors can scrutinise proceedings. In fact I doubt whether Meeting Minutes as most of us understand them even exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamV View Post
Very similar - two strands of the same argument: I take a slightly different stance - I can see the need for List 1A and List 1B to separate 'Standard Road Going' from the 'Road Going Series Production' category. My concern is that the MSA decision regarding tyres is taken in early September but we don't know the outcome until mid December..... Some 3 months later.
A large proportion of new cars roll off the production line fitted with tyres that are not in Lists 1A and 1B. Therefore if the "Standard Road Going" classes is to continue shouldn't the regulations for those classes reflect that the cars should run with the same tyres that the cars left the factory with?

As for the difference between (a) when the Tyre Committee make the decision, and (b) when the new lists are published, is because the decision of the Tyre Committee has to be approved within the MSA hierarchy of committees.
__________________
He was stopped stationary - James Hunt
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 13-09-17, 09:27
webby webby is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alvechurch
Posts: 122
webby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
A large proportion of new cars roll off the production line fitted with tyres that are not in Lists 1A and 1B. Therefore if the "Standard Road Going" classes is to continue shouldn't the regulations for those classes reflect that the cars should run with the same tyres that the cars left the factory with?
This could be difficult as I have been unable to purchase any 'identical to factory fitted tyres' for my two year old road car, with Goodyear advising that they cannot give a date for the next production and import batch!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13-09-17, 11:46
GrahamV's Avatar
GrahamV GrahamV is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 119
GrahamV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson View Post
As for the difference between (a) when the Tyre Committee make the decision, and (b) when the new lists are published, is because the decision of the Tyre Committee has to be approved within the MSA hierarchy of committees.
I can see your point but ...

1) I think this is part of a wider problem - there needs to be greater transparency within the MSA, better communication and perhaps a change in attitude. There is no reason why they can't publish 'minutes' or a draft statement on the tyre lists and any other key events that affects competitors - even a simple update or holding statement on social media would be better than silence.
My own club (Woolbridge) publish very good meeting minutes each month to keep the members involved and up to date with club decisions / activities. If an amateur club can do this then why can't a professional body that has an income of nearly £8 million a year?

2) Looking specifically at the tyre situation: I can't see the decisions of the Production Tyre Committee being overruled within the MSA hierarchy. This meeting involves the tyre manufacturers saying what tyres will be available in 2018 and what labelling regulations the tyres actually meet, therefore I think its a fairly mechanical process to put them in the appropriate list.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13-09-17, 12:59
Merlyn69 Merlyn69 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 20
Merlyn69 is on a distinguished road
E Marked Tyres

I'm probably being naïve or stupid or both, but is it not within the remit of Championship organisers to override the lists within their regulations and state "any e marked tyre" for any road-going class ? I appreciate that regulations need to get passed by the MSA and they would no doubt over-rule, but maybe the message would get through that the will of the competitors and clubs is for clarity and simplicity.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13-09-17, 13:01
St Eval St Eval is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 239
St Eval is on a distinguished road
No, if we could we would. You can't over rule the Blue book.
Roy
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 13-09-17, 17:27
Radical's Avatar
Radical Radical is offline
Ex Radical owner
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,407
Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn69 View Post
I'm probably being naïve or stupid or both, but is it not within the remit of Championship organisers to override the lists within their regulations and state "any e marked tyre" for any road-going class ? I appreciate that regulations need to get passed by the MSA and they would no doubt over-rule, but maybe the message would get through that the will of the competitors and clubs is for clarity and simplicity.
No, they cannot relax any BB rules or category definitions, they could if they wished tighten them such as specifying a control tyre (as long as it was on the approved list), but that is of course the opposite of what you are asking for.
__________________
2015 the year of the V8 postponed again
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 14-09-17, 10:06
Steve Wilkinson's Avatar
Steve Wilkinson Steve Wilkinson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southport
Posts: 4,359
Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlyn69 View Post
I'm probably being naïve or stupid or both, but is it not within the remit of Championship organisers to override the lists within their regulations and state "any e marked tyre" for any road-going class ? I appreciate that regulations need to get passed by the MSA and they would no doubt over-rule, but maybe the message would get through that the will of the competitors and clubs is for clarity and simplicity.
It is possible to structure your regulations so that there is a "catch-all" class for cars running on tyres not in List 1A, 1B or 1C. I doubt that clubs would want to have multiple classes but I have seen a single such class being run. The cars in this class have to meet all the normal regs for "road going" but basically tyres are free. However, in this single class there are rarely more than 3 cars entered but occasionally a car will be transferred to the class due to running tyres not compatible with the class they entered.
__________________
He was stopped stationary - James Hunt
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright© 2007-2017 www.uphillracers.com