Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Events > Shows & Exhibitions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-15, 20:22

bentimingstrut will become famous soon enough
I've just been watching the Sky Sports coverage of this years FOS. I find it hysterical how the commentators (Johnny Herbert) in particular are all pretending that the shoot out is a genuine Hill Climb Competition. It must be terribly confusing for Joe Public. They must have mentioned Pikes Peak a dozen times. It's about time the genuine Hill Climb Champions in genuine Hill Climb Cars were invited to take competitive runs. Stop conning people Goodwood. Rod Millen is not a Hill Climb Champion. Maybee Lord March could make next years theme."Hill Climb Champions Past & Present"
Old 07-07-15, 21:09

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
Couldn't agree more and for me the event nedds a shot in the arm as it's become somewhat diluted in recent years in its attempt to haul in the numbers what with the moving motorshow etc. It's still great but it seems the organizers believe the punters want celeb spotting,supercar paddocks and burn outs more than anything else. I'm sure it probably is the initial pull for M3 man and his Mrs but I'm pretty certain every spectator finds him/herself getting the most buzz out of seeing somebody really gunning it even if they didn't realise they were going to. I think BHC could be a huge pull to both the cognocenti and joe average once they experience it and could be the shot in the arm the event needs to avoid becoming the festival of cars and showiness?
Old 07-07-15, 23:25
Ex Radical owner

Radical has a spectacular aura about Radical has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo2 View Post
the event needs to avoid becoming the festival of cars and showiness?
It appears you are the one missing the point, the event is precisely a festival of cars and showiness because that is where the money is and the "Joe Public" interest. It is only a select few that are interested in genuine hill climb competition, not the paying crowds at the FOS.

The last thing the organisers want is real quick hillclimbers pushing the boundaries with the inherent risk of a serious accident.
Old 08-07-15, 00:42

Edmundo2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
It appears you are the one missing the point, the event is precisely a festival of cars and showiness because that is where the money is and the "Joe Public" interest. It is only a select few that are interested in genuine hill climb competition, not the paying crowds at the FOS.

The last thing the organisers want is real quick hillclimbers pushing the boundaries with the inherent risk of a serious accident.
I didin't suggest anyone is missing the point and I'm certainly not. I'm meerly putting forward my point of view on a uhr thread that has other people sharing similar opinions.

I fully understand gfos, it's original audience, it's current audience, it's need and opportunity to make money, it's health and safety pressures, its obligations not to upstage major car manufacturers latest offerings etc etc etc. What I'm saying is that people can only enjoy something if they know it exists.

Yes over the years it's sold out a little and has cashed in on "Joe Public " but its still rammed full of petrol heads. Im not suggesting a top 12 bhc run off should or could happen rather a few top runners give a demo to wow a crowd that have chosen to attend an event called "the festival of speed" featuring a so called hillclimb that historically has rarely exposed punters to the true exponents of the sport. This year i listened to the commentators talking really positively about and promoting hillclimbing and advising the crowds that they should get along to spectate at their local hills as it's a fantastic specatacle, likening molcombe corner to some tricky corners on uk hillclimbs, cholmondley talking about gary thomas's quick run or referencing Jos Goodyear etc etc.

The crowds would be thrilled, ( even if they weren't expecting to be ), and the sport gets an airing/promotion. It doesn't need to be hugely competitive but just represent hillclimbing! Ref the health and safety risk i don't think a bhc top gun driving at 9/10ths on a familar type of course on A92's is any more risky than a guest driver driving a super car or LM on old wets in comparibally unfamilar suroundings.

Maybe it's just me and actually its a crap idea, we should just keep it a secret and accept that no one would be interested...
Old 08-07-15, 07:08
Maybe not novice anymore

MX5 novice will become famous soon enough
From the numbers of people who attend GFoS each year (and it is a growing number year on year) it fulfils its purpose which is to provide a celebration of motorsport and motoring in general. It IS NOT a hillclimb although it does have a show one. It is a show plain and simple. As for "real hillclimbers" it was GFoS that got me started in hillclimbing!

It is a grand spectacular event featuring cars, trucks, vans and motorbikes along with drivers who you would not find in one place anywhere else in the world. I've met and chatted with Murray Walker and Sir Stirling Moss on two occasions at GFoS, funny how I've never bumped into them at Loton or Harewood ;-)

D.
Old 08-07-15, 09:39

EMac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX5 novice View Post
I've met and chatted with Murray Walker and Sir Stirling Moss on two occasions at GFoS, funny how I've never bumped into them at Loton or Harewood ;-)

D.
Both have been at Shelsley, and don't forget that Murray started out commentating there.
Old 08-07-15, 09:47

Steve Wilkinson will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMac View Post
Both have been at Shelsley, and don't forget that Murray started out commentating there.
I thought Murray Walker started out commentating on the Isle of Man.

I am sure I saw Murray at Loton Park some years back in the company of Tony Mason.

Stirling Moss started his career by hillclimbing visiting Prescott, Shelsley & Bo'ness to name but three. Loton Park & Harewood were still dormant at that stage.

Old 08-07-15, 10:14
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Murray Walkers debut was surely at Shelsley Walsh...................
Old 08-07-15, 12:56
Maybe not novice anymore

MX5 novice will become famous soon enough
So when was the last time anyone saw Murray or Stirling at a grass roots level motorsport venue such as Loton or Shelsley? Sure they may have started out at the lower levels but they ain't regular visitors now are they?

D.
Old 08-07-15, 13:23
Senior Citizen

redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about redturner37 has a spectacular aura about
Murray Walker interviewed me at Mallory Park in 1964.......