Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 28-07-16, 14:20

JediR1 is on a distinguished road
Have a look at the Harrison Billet website.
These are the guys that produced the lovely little calipers for Jedi.
I use their standard road pads in mine and for hillclimb and sprint use they are fine.
Old 08-08-16, 10:41

Dr D Doctors is on a distinguished road
I was originally going to use the 2x front calipers that came with the donor bike (common as muck CBR600) as the rear calipers on my car. They are nice Nissin 4 pots and the piston size matched up well to use them with Wilwoods on the front.

The main limitation is that they are designed for very thin discs, I vaguley remember that the gap in the caliper was only about 8.5mm I think you would end up having to have specially made or modififed discs produced.

Also the lugs are in funny positions (as they hang from the forks), so one is long and one is short making the uprights a bit odd. And the brake pipe fitting was a funny thread just, adding complication.

Add to this the lack of pad choice and it was easier and cheaper to fit a Wilwood Dynapro 2 pot over a standard disc and use what pads I wanted.

So in answer I believed that performance wise they would be upto the job but in pretty much every other way it was not the best choice.
Old 09-08-16, 20:36
Freelance Wing Mangler

image is on a distinguished road
I use Nissin calipers off the front of an R1 on my single seater --- bleed nipple clearance is an issue but I cut off the sticky-up bit that seems to be for fitting a tube to ---- that still leaves the hex to tighten and loosen them and you can bleed them with a cloth to catch the fluid --- they work great and decent road bike pads seem fine when it comes to stopping ---- got mine given for free but can't imagine they'd be much cash from a breaker --- single disc rear on my car and that's a CBRR caliper so bike all round for me.
K
Old 09-08-16, 22:13

tonybraz is on a distinguished road
I use zxr750 calipers and yamaha rd125 discs on my 750 formula race car works well but thinking of changing pads.

Tony
Old 10-08-16, 16:23

sprite is on a distinguished road
Thanks for replie guys. IMAGE, Is this the same car in your Avatar ?��
After much thought and a desire to keep project priorities in line (ultra cheap 60's Brabham style track day car which can be upgraded later) , I've decided to go with Volvo 240 rear calipers. These are a Girling caliper similar to those used on early FF and cost $25 each.
May upgrade to alloys at a later date. Thanks sgain for all your input.
Old 10-08-16, 23:05
Freelance Wing Mangler

image is on a distinguished road
Yep ... Same car (but mostly earthbound these days!) .... 350ish kg ..... It originally ran FF cast calipers (same as mini cooper I believe) .... Going to bike calipers saved a pack of unsprung weight.

Good luck with the build

K
Old 11-08-16, 13:49

sprite is on a distinguished road
Could you include a photo or 2 of the front brakes, mounts etc at some stage -please.