Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Technical > Engine & Chassis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 27-07-16, 08:09

T16 Tomcat is on a distinguished road
Coil/HT Modification

Morning All,

I'm hoping you ingenious bunch have an idea how to sort this, as I assume its been come across previously.

I have a new pair of colipacks for the Jedi (R1/Flatslides) and the new coils come with the lead seemingly firmly fixed into the coil, which is ok, only they don't have the plug holders on the other end of the leads.

The old coil/lead assys have the plug holder (seemingly) fixed to the lead, but the lead easily unclips from the coilpack..........

So - how do I either get them appart, join them, modify them so I can use the new coils? Prefferably - I would like to use the new leads that come with the new coils too - but I can't see a way of getting the relevent bits apart, admittedly I haven't tried brute force as I didn't wan to break anything...

Sketch attached for clarity, please excuse the fag-pack effort!

Cheers
Jan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coil Pack & Leads.jpg (93.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 27-07-16, 08:38
Purr louder pussy cat

PumaWestie is on a distinguished road
Send them back and get the right ones :-)
Old 27-07-16, 09:25
tyrekicker

dennis.doyle is on a distinguished road
Do the new just end abruptly so you can see the copper wires in the core? If so, you just need some plug caps that screw into the centre of them - sometimes the case with copper-cored leads. Looking down the plug cap at the lead end (not the plug end obviously) it looks pretty much like a woodscrew.

The old ones might even be like this. As long as the lead does not appear to actually be bonded to the cap you could try rotating rather than pulling them?
Old 27-07-16, 09:38

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Plug caps and coil leads usually unscrew as DD has said, they are not usually bonded in
John
Old 27-07-16, 10:42

On the new ones, the leads end abruptly, cleanly cut, no hole up the centre core that I can see, the other end of the leads don't appear to be bonded into the coil-pack that I can see, although they do seem to be quite well attached - I will try unscrewing them and see if they come out.

Not sure if they are copper though, it doesn't look like copper - carbon maybe?

On the old coil/lead assy, the leads just unclip and slide out of the coil-pack, they appear to push onto a pin though (not a screw thread), as the hole up the centre on the lead is only 0.5mm(ish) diameter.
Old 27-07-16, 10:56

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Use good quality copper cored cables, the carbon cored cables break down just when you don't want them too and electrical suppression is not an issue on a race car.
John
Old 27-07-16, 11:13

Thanks John, I can buy decent HT lead by the foot at a place local to me, so if I can get them to bits I will more than likely do that, the lead routing is a bit compromised because of the installation difference between bike and car, so it may well end up a better job.......just need to get the beggars to bits now!! :-/

They are the right coils for the engine, I have double checked, they just don't come with the plug holders on for some reason, so I have emailed the supplier to see if they have a solution to this - it can't be the first time they have been asked this question!
Old 27-07-16, 11:25

They do normally unscrew, But on one occasion I was swapping coils and plug caps between between Honda CRF and XR's off road bikes and found some did not come apart
John
Old 27-07-16, 11:38

Hmm, I did have a bit of a thrutch at them, and they didn't seem to want to come apart.......I will have a look again later, I don't want to damage anything, that's the problem!

Maybe the supplier will get back to me with something definitive....? Well, you can hope!!