Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Club Hillclimb
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-17, 15:11

RichardBrant will become famous soon enough
I love Gurston one of my favorite hills and I'd say the best run Hill I go to.
I'm really disappointed BARC have dropped the MHC round in July, I'll just have to settle for the two BHC/Leaders rounds in May and August.
Rich
Old 02-12-17, 22:03

Sabrejet is on a distinguished road
IMHO Gurston is the best UK hill for its mix of spectacle, setting, organization, warmth of reception - I could go on. OK other hills may tick some of those boxes better, but none so well in all areas.

Miss it at your loss.
Old 02-12-17, 23:27

Lolat492 will become famous soon enough Lolat492 will become famous soon enough
I've spectate do twice over the years, but never run there.
The journey from Wolverhampton to the venue was tedious both times, it would have been far worse with a trailer.
Wife thinks it dangerous for me so that combination has made it out of bounds.

It is a great hill, always get a positive review, so must be good!
As to variations in class sizes just try Sports Libre over 2 litres....
Old 05-12-17, 20:30
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrejet View Post
IMHO Gurston is the best UK hill for its mix of spectacle, setting, organization, warmth of reception - I could go on. OK other hills may tick some of those boxes better, but none so well in all areas.

Miss it at your loss.
Im not moaning at the venue. It is one of the best as you describe. Im just fed up with going there and pretty much being the only one in Class all the time. Its pointless entering their championship as you will never gain big points for example. Will have to stick to Loton (massive c2 class) Shelsley and Prescott.
Old 05-12-17, 22:01

fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about fatboyslim has a spectacular aura about
plenty of competition at harewood and doune darren......you know you want to
Old 05-12-17, 22:51

P20SPD is on a distinguished road
The venue and organisation is great, almost as good as Harewood.

As a first timer this year, upon arrival whilst being told where to park, I was told not to upset the locals! I didn’t realise this person was serious until the next morning when I genuinely felt like a rabbit surrounded by a pack of wolves!

Thankfully by the end of Saturday once the main protagonist, who wasn’t competing, had left the venue, the feeling was a little more welcoming, with some locals and officials coming to talk to me without fear of retribution, the bbq and bar on the Saturday helped ease that tension even further!

For now, I won’t repeat what went on, but suffice to say, if that’s what happens when “competition” arrives, then I’m not surprised class entries may be low.

Would I go back? Yes, despite the 6 and half hour journey!
Old 06-12-17, 07:18

kano nordie will become famous soon enough kano nordie will become famous soon enough
Never had any experience like that at any venue (including Gurston) that I have ever been to. only on one occasion did I ever have hassle from an organizer, pre-email internet entry days, when he told me I should not live so far away when I could not get entries in on time and was on the reserve list.
John
Old 08-12-17, 15:37

CompSec is on a distinguished road
Come and do the Harewood Championship Darren, that is based on how quick you are against the class record and has nothing to do with how many there are in the class.
Everyone at Harewood Speed Hillclimb would be delighted to see you and I'm sure you will find the hill suitably challenging. Some competitors seem to find doing 5 runs in a day on the UK mainland's longest hillclimb, when they are only used to only two on shorter hills, coupled with friendly officials and unrivalled panoramic views of the course, rather good value.
Old 08-12-17, 19:53

sarahb is on a distinguished road
I love Gurston but it is disappointing when the classes are empty.

I last went down in September 16. There were three on the entry list but on the day the two 'locals' did not show and I pinched a class win in a class of one.

Had we known we were a class of one we would have stayed at home.
Old 09-12-17, 11:19
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompSec View Post
Come and do the Harewood Championship Darren, that is based on how quick you are against the class record and has nothing to do with how many there are in the class.
Everyone at Harewood Speed Hillclimb would be delighted to see you and I'm sure you will find the hill suitably challenging. Some competitors seem to find doing 5 runs in a day on the UK mainland's longest hillclimb, when they are only used to only two on shorter hills, coupled with friendly officials and unrivalled panoramic views of the course, rather good value.
Its on my list , iirc you have to be in BARC ? Or in a championship? Would I get in with just an A licence and member of BOC ? I need to concentrate on the 3 local Hills first seeing as they are on my door step.