Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Sprint > Club Sprint
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 14-09-17, 19:54

P20SPD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdog View Post
I have watched many car jump on the start line when engaging a gear.

I have never understood why you cannot go to the line in gear? for the sake of maybe a couple of minutes holding the clutch what is the problem. it also ensures that the gear is correctly engaged.

And the next one is where have you ever been where the line marshals do not hold the car on the start line?

as always just saying and am sure i am wrong.
You can wipe out the thrust bearings just sat there with the clutch depressed, equals fecked cranked and fecked oil pressure!
Old 14-09-17, 20:13

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by P20SPD View Post
You can wipe out the thrust bearings just sat there with the clutch depressed, equals fecked cranked and fecked oil pressure!
Jesus how long are you going to be there? Your joking right!

so your saying cars that run on the hills and sprints are different to all other racing cars in that their clutch mechanism is so fragile you cannot move to the start line in gear and wait on the clutch for your run in fear of damage to the bearings crank and wait for it the engine loosing oil pressure.

I think i need a standard saying at the bottom of my posts.

I am sure I am wrong and someone will come along with the correct answer. this of course does not imply I am correct just very bemused by things I read.
Old 14-09-17, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopdog View Post
Jesus how long are you going to be there? Your joking right!

so your saying cars that run on the hills and sprints are different to all other racing cars in that their clutch mechanism is so fragile you cannot move to the start line in gear and wait on the clutch for your run in fear of damage to the bearings crank and wait for it the engine loosing oil pressure.

I think i need a standard saying at the bottom of my posts.

I am sure I am wrong and someone will come along with the correct answer. this of course does not imply I am correct just very bemused by things I read.
Nope, not what I am saying!

I am saying, it is possible to wipe out thrust bearings sat holding the clutch. You can be sat there for 30seconds plus holding the clutch!

Simple nature of our events, suggest we modify our cars for more power/torque, this generally leads to a heavier duty clutch being required, the heavier duty clutch invariably puts more load (push or pull) on the crank, think of it as crank walking! When that happens the crank gets pushed or pulled hard against the thrust bearing!

Sat there too long, and the oil film between the thrust bearing and crank will eventually disappear, and then its metal to metal (crank to bearing), one will eventually give way!

5 years ago, wiped out an Arrow Billet crank because of exactly the above! Since then I approach the line free wheeling where ever possible! When it goes green, press brake pedal and clutch and engage first, then go to launch control!

I'm not alone in seeing this damage to a crank and thrust bearings.
Old 14-09-17, 20:57

dopdog will become famous soon enough
OK fair enough
Old 14-09-17, 21:54
Not-so-slowboy

SteveSlowboy will become famous soon enough
But only applicable to car type inline engines? Bike engines running the bike gearboxes don't suffer this fate.
Old 14-09-17, 22:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlowboy View Post
But only applicable to car type inline engines? Bike engines running the bike gearboxes don't suffer this fate.
Don't know with regards to bikes, but yes, I was speaking from a car engine setup.
Old 15-09-17, 05:59

kano nordie will become famous soon enough
From the old 2 stroke 500 days I have come to the start line and left the car in gear, on a down hill start eg Gurston, Llys y Fran, I use 2nd off the line so need to be rolling to get into 2nd gear, I will only come out of gear if there is a red flag delay, and then ask to be pulled back and be re-staged, never had any problems so far!
John
Old 16-09-17, 08:11
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
This is the clip of my 6.38s 64ft run at Blyton.

https://youtu.be/Eg9zft62ybs

The green light doesnt come on until 2.7s in to that time, so the timing beam must have been live before the light came on.
Old 16-09-17, 09:47

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamb View Post
This is the clip of my 6.38s 64ft run at Blyton.

https://youtu.be/Eg9zft62ybs

The green light doesnt come on until 2.7s in to that time, so the timing beam must have been live before the light came on.
I cannot speak for that event at Blyton but for MMTS timed events the clock is live when the timekeeper presses his button . The light only goes green when both the course control and the timekeeper have their buttons pressed.

What I can say about Blyton is the start line is not in the optimal position . Thee is no way the timekeeper can get a clear view of the start. and it would be very easy not to notice a car was aligned incorrectly

Hasta

Hasta
Old 18-09-17, 23:31
Don't lift !

E5_DCB is on a distinguished road
I had an issue at Mira Graham , where the light was on Red went out and no green light turned on. So was sat there wondering what was going on. Start line guys were not looking so I started pointing at the light. Guy opened door and asked why im not going lol. Anyway the guy in the van ran out and had to swap the battery out as it was flat.
They had to hold the cars at Mira as it was on a slight slope I noticed. But I also noticed they sometimes only had one guy holding the car while the other just stepped back. Im guessing the old chap let yours slip and triggered it.