Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Tech Talk For questions & answers and regarding PC's, Operating Systems, Connections and all things computer related. Apple Mac not spoken here.

Old 05-09-17, 21:52

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
It's not too hard, once you know how to do it.
I've used our USB converters on Xp, 7, 8 and 10, across various laptops and PCs, and as long as the driver is correct (Windows can helpfully update it without telling you), it will work.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make a clearer guide, please let me know. I redid the guides last year, but there's clearly room for improvement.
Old 06-09-17, 10:58
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I think the DTAWIN software could be improved by getting it to scan the available COM ports Alex, and finding the one that the ECU is connected to.

It used to really frustrate me that when I connected the USB/Serial lead, Windows would assign it a random COM port, and then I would have to open control panel, find the COM port it had been assigned, then select that COM port from DTAWIN in order to connect to the ECU.

If DTAWIN managed that aspect, or you had an additional app that finds the USB/Serial COM port and displays it on the screen, then the less PC savvie users wouldn't need to worry about control panel etc.

BTW I'm told running chgport /query from a command prompt also works... But I don't have a USB/Serial adaptor to try at the moment
Old 06-09-17, 18:33

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Configure it and make it work once...then dont install other crap on the laptop that can interfere with it. That way it will continue to work reliably for many years.
Old 06-09-17, 19:52
#UNLEARN

grahamb will become famous soon enough grahamb will become famous soon enough
I've just tried the chgport /query command in a DOS window, and it does appear to show that in this instance, COM9 port is assigned to the USB/Serial adaptor on my laptop.

So looks quite easy for someone to work out which COM port to select, if they run that command first Alex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COM debug.JPG (29.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-09-17, 21:39

AlexChard is on a distinguished road
Thanks Graham.
The new version will find all USB ports available, much like that query does. It's then just a matter of selecting the correct one.
No more going in to Device Manager.