Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Leaders Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 20-01-10, 12:42

sevaun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by iranoff View Post
Regulations will be released this weekend at the Championship Awards Presentation in booklet form. I am hoping to arrange for a downloadable copy of each championship in pdf format to be available here.
Iranoff - any news on a download yet please?

Thanks

Richard
Old 20-01-10, 17:55
Spectacularly admonished

iranoff will become famous soon enough iranoff will become famous soon enough
Richard

Still working on it, there is a massive amount of opposition to giving me what I need to provide a downloadable, so it looks like I/we will have to scan a hard copy.
Old 21-01-10, 08:42

Leaders regs

Hi iranoff

Is membership of a Masonic lodge a pre-requesite of registering for the Leaders Championship?
If it is can you tell me which one and I'll join up with the funny handshake brigade - may speed things up a bit (lol) !!
Seriously though I'm beginning to doubt that this Championship has any real standing. I don't think I want to be associated with a championship that's so backward that it has to produce it's regs in hard copy only and has no means of readily contacting the organisers!
Maybe I'll just do some rounds of the HSA Championship instead. They're easy to find. Googling HSA found them on on first page then the regs are freely available on their homepage - Result!

Sevaun
Old 21-01-10, 09:02

Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough Hasta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevaun View Post
Hi iranoff

Is membership of a Masonic lodge a pre-requesite of registering for the Leaders Championship?
If it is can you tell me which one and I'll join up with the funny handshake brigade - may speed things up a bit (lol) !!
Seriously though I'm beginning to doubt that this Championship has any real standing. I don't think I want to be associated with a championship that's so backward that it has to produce it's regs in hard copy only and has no means of readily contacting the organisers!
Maybe I'll just do some rounds of the HSA Championship instead. They're easy to find. Googling HSA found them on on first page then the regs are freely available on their homepage - Result!

Sevaun

I am going to have to defend the leaders a little here . Dont make the mistake of judging a championship by its website or lack thereof. Give Tony Fletcher a call ( hes in the Blue book ) and register your interest

Hasta
Old 21-01-10, 10:26

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Register your interest in having the Regs sent electronically. They were created that way so why can't they be distributed that way? We are, after all, in 2010 not 1960.
As for the laborious task of scanning them in and making a PDF/DOC from them, well that's nonsense and a complete waste of time and resources.
Old 21-01-10, 10:47
AKA Rich Danby

Dad's Lad will become famous soon enough
As a side note, some of the regs on the HDLCC site are scanned PDFs (example) but they are also OCRd so you can cut and paste from them - The text isn't perfect but, as you can see the original scan, it seems good enough. I just thought I'd mention it as I haven't seen many PDFs set up that way.

The files are generated by some Canon software so, since the scans are also so straight, I expect it coming from a Canon printer/scanner combo.

Having said that I don't see that OCR is that important for this. Scanning pages feels wrong when it starts of electronically but to most a purely image based pdf would be good enough.
Old 21-01-10, 12:48
Spectacularly admonished

iranoff will become famous soon enough iranoff will become famous soon enough
I am sure people would be perfectly happy with a scanned version Rich.
Fireblade is absolutely right but unfortunately the owner of the original document has refused to provide the original source file under any circumstances whatsover.

As to OCR, my job involves extensive use of it and I use Readiris 8 which I find works very well.
Old 21-01-10, 13:44

Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough Fireblade is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad's Lad View Post
Scanning pages feels wrong when it starts off electronically
Its total madness and non productive. Everyone has enough to do without all the hassle and adding to Royal Mail profits as well.

Wells Fargo anyone?
Old 21-01-10, 15:04

Scanning?!!!!

I totally agree with Fireblade and don't understand why the Championship organisers won't supply anything in electronic format. Are they afraid someone may alter the contents? Why should anyone wish to do that and even so the files could be encryted (as in pdfs).
In the time we've all been debating this I could have got hold of a scanned document OCR'd it then re-output it electonically in original or altered format anyway!
This all still does not alter the fact the I have no information regarding the Leaders Championship and apart from phoning Tony Fletcher to get regs. I want more than just the regs. I want to know what it's about, who I'll be competing against, where it takes place and most importantly why I should bother entering. This was the point of my original posting, I want to know as a National Championship how worthwhile is it, especially as it seems to be severly in the shadow of the MSA British Championship.
The only website which represents hillclimbing at this level is Toby Moody's, but that does not cover anything for the Leaders.
I think I've started to answer my own question here - perhaps I'll just stick to the Harewood Championship at least I know that I get VFM competition there!

Sevaun
Old 21-01-10, 15:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevaun View Post
The only website which represents hillclimbing at this level is Toby Moody's
I have to take issue with that statement there, old boy.