Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Leaders Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 17-03-16, 15:18

andylaurence will become famous soon enough
I ordered an Arai at Autosport in January to be delivered "mid-Feb" and that's now slipped to April. My season starts this weekend. Thoroughly pissed off. It was allegedly on the way to the distributor last Friday, but by Monday it had turned around, gone back home and was due in April. A bit fucking late, frankly.
Old 17-03-16, 19:10
Ex Radical owner

Radical will become famous soon enough Radical will become famous soon enough
It appears to be a general problem with the "2015" spec helmets, and looks like the MSA has already allowed for this by extending the life of the 2010 spec helmets to 2023.
Old 17-03-16, 19:42

dopdog will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylaurence View Post
I ordered an Arai at Autosport in January to be delivered "mid-Feb" and that's now slipped to April. My season starts this weekend. Thoroughly pissed off. It was allegedly on the way to the distributor last Friday, but by Monday it had turned around, gone back home and was due in April. A bit fucking late, frankly.
for the older ones amongst us "language Timothy"
Old 18-03-16, 06:24

andylaurence will become famous soon enough
Extending 2010 helmets doesn't help those of us whose helmets expired over the winter. Sorry for the language, but I think it shows quite how annoyed I am about this. Luckily, my double-drive's helmet just about fits, so I can start my season. Imagine if I was doing a championship ... This could have derailed my whole season!
Old 18-03-16, 08:20

DaveK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
It appears to be a general problem with the "2015" spec helmets, and looks like the MSA has already allowed for this by extending the life of the 2010 spec helmets to 2023.
As far as i'm aware the msa havn't extended it , 2023 is the recommended expiry date

same as 2005 helmets expire 2018 , and 2000 helmets expired in 2014

Quite why the 2015 helmets also expire in 2023 who knows

Andy what standard was on your previous helmet as 2000 expired 2014 so you couldn't use that last year ?
Old 18-03-16, 08:57

DavidLoomes is on a distinguished road
BS6658 is the standard being discontinued for the coming season.

If you've got one of them, the only smart thing to do is get one of the new Snell 2015 helmets that also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers as these don't have an expiry date. Bell, Arai and Koden don't seem to be able to meet their promises to deliver these.

So at the moment, I'm having to bin a very nice carbon/Kevlar helmet, and because the above companies can't deliver, I'm being offered a loan of an open face glass fibre helmet instead. In an open top sports libre car, I don't see that as an improvement in safety.
Old 18-03-16, 13:05

RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
As far as i'm aware the msa havn't extended it , 2023 is the recommended expiry date

same as 2005 helmets expire 2018 , and 2000 helmets expired in 2014

Quite why the 2015 helmets also expire in 2023 who knows

Andy what standard was on your previous helmet as 2000 expired 2014 so you couldn't use that last year ?
I think its more that the SA2010 helmets are currently expected to cease to be accepted after 2023. This has been the case for a few years; just as there has been advanced notice for the last few years that BS6658 was not going to be acceptable this year. Mind you, I do expect that come 2019, there will be some claiming that they never knew that their SA2005 helmet was no longer going to be accepted, that their 12 year old helmet is still in perfect condition, and they don't understand why they have to buy a new one

As for why SA2015 is potentially restricted to 2023: There was mention that the FIA are trying to change their Regulations to only allow FIA Homologated helmets, and that Snell standards would cease to be acceptable for FIA around 2023. This might affect the MSA Regulations in future. However, there is significant resistance to the FIA proposals from the manufacturers as there is not a big enough market to sustain and produce helmets to the FIA standards at reasonable costs.
Old 18-03-16, 13:32

DavidLoomes is on a distinguished road
Don't think anyone's claiming they didn't know BS6658 was going out, nor is the problem any resistance on my part to the idea of buying a new one.

The problem - and the subject of this thread - is that the 2015 spec helmets we are supposed to be replacing the old ones with are now 15 months late and there are none to buy.
Old 18-03-16, 18:00

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennyT View Post
As for why SA2015 is potentially restricted to 2023: There was mention that the FIA are trying to change their Regulations to only allow FIA Homologated helmets, and that Snell standards would cease to be acceptable for FIA around 2023. This might affect the MSA Regulations in future. However, there is significant resistance to the FIA proposals from the manufacturers as there is not a big enough market to sustain and produce helmets to the FIA standards at reasonable costs.
"Apparently" the FIA are not happy with the SNELL testing of the HANS posts, hence why this is being dropped (outside of the USA) and being replaced by FIA homologation only.
Old 21-03-16, 11:38

RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLoomes View Post
The problem - and the subject of this thread - is that the 2015 spec helmets we are supposed to be replacing the old ones with are now 15 months late and there are none to buy.
Snell 2015 helmets were never going to be available until late 2015. I think it was October that they were first released on the market. It does seem that Bell in particular are having supply problems linked to a factory move.