Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Leaders Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Old 21-03-16, 22:14

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
I guess you gotta ask too...

What does a 2015 helmet do to protect your head any differently than a 2010...or 2005 ?
Old 22-03-16, 07:26

Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I guess you gotta ask too...

What does a 2015 helmet do to protect your head any differently than a 2010...or 2005 ?
If you're interested in the changes, check the different release notes here:

http://www.smf.org/stds

Quite a big change from 2005 to 2010, less so to 2015.
Old 22-03-16, 07:29

dopdog will become famous soon enough
I was going to say why wait for a 2015 when a 2010 does the same job and for reasons said above both expire in the same year anyway
Old 22-03-16, 09:00

DavidLoomes is on a distinguished road
Because helmets certified to SA2015 should also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers and that standard does not currently have an expiry date. That and manufacturers have stopped producing 2010 helmets now, so there's only a certain no. left in the supply chain. If your retailer happens to have one in your size, lucky you.
Old 22-03-16, 09:32

RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLoomes View Post
Because helmets certified to SA2015 should also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers and that standard does not currently have an expiry date. That and manufacturers have stopped producing 2010 helmets now, so there's only a certain no. left in the supply chain. If your retailer happens to have one in your size, lucky you.
Sorry David, you picked that up incorrectly.
FIA 8859-2015 is a FIA helmet standard, Snell SA2015 is a different standard. Whilst some helmets may have been submitted for approval to both standards, it is possible to have a helmet that is only certified to one of them.
IIRC, the FIA 8859-2015 standard has a lower weight limit than the Snell standard.
I recall at an International event having to check a replacement helmet for a driver whose FIA 8860-2010 helmet which he'd worn at Le Mans and F1 testing a couple of weeks earlier, was not acceptable to race with at Battersea Park (Formula E) . This was because their Regulations specified FIA 8859-2015, which was amongst other things, lighter .
Old 22-03-16, 11:43

stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
I notice one comment in the first bit I opened about Snell 2015..

"Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years after the helmet is first worn"

Like really...I cannot for the life of me fathom such a statement unless the user is demolishing stuff with their helmets on a regular basis.

Didnt read any further as doubt anything else will make any sense ?
Old 22-03-16, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I notice one comment in the first bit I opened about Snell 2015..

"Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years after the helmet is first worn"

Like really...I cannot for the life of me fathom such a statement unless the user is demolishing stuff with their helmets on a regular basis.

Didnt read any further as doubt anything else will make any sense ?
Exposure to UV Radiation (sunlight), chemicals (fuels, solvents, cleaning materials), liquids (sweat) can all lead to degradation of the helmet structure (including the lining and strap).

It used to be that MSA regulations only allowed helmets to be used up to 5-years after the date of manufacture.

When you routinely have to rummage around inside numerous helmets and under the lining trying to find the approval labels, you soon realise how grotty some peoples heads are
Old 22-03-16, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RennyT View Post
Exposure to UV Radiation (sunlight), chemicals (fuels, solvents, cleaning materials), liquids (sweat) can all lead to degradation of the helmet structure (including the lining and strap).

It used to be that MSA regulations only allowed helmets to be used up to 5-years after the date of manufacture.

When you routinely have to rummage around inside numerous helmets and under the lining trying to find the approval labels, you soon realise how grotty some peoples heads are
And how immaculate and almost brand new others that see less frequent and brutal use...as with harnesses...seats...everything really.
Old 23-03-16, 00:50

DavidLoomes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennyT View Post
Sorry David, you picked that up incorrectly.
FIA 8859-2015 is a FIA helmet standard, Snell SA2015 is a different standard. Whilst some helmets may have been submitted for approval to both standards, it is possible to have a helmet that is only certified to one of them.
IIRC, the FIA 8859-2015 standard has a lower weight limit than the Snell standard.
I recall at an International event having to check a replacement helmet for a driver whose FIA 8860-2010 helmet which he'd worn at Le Mans and F1 testing a couple of weeks earlier, was not acceptable to race with at Battersea Park (Formula E) . This was because their Regulations specified FIA 8859-2015, which was amongst other things, lighter .
I haven't picked anything up wrongly.

The helmet for which I am waiting IS supposed to come certified to both standards which means, by the current rules, it does not expire in 2023.

That IS the reason why I'm waiting for it

FYI, the helmet it is replacing is not 12 years old.
Old 23-03-16, 11:30

Quote:
Because helmets certified to SA2015 should also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers and that standard does not currently have an expiry date.
Quote:
I haven't picked anything up wrongly.

The helmet for which I am waiting IS supposed to come certified to both standards which means, by the current rules, it does not expire in 2023.

That IS the reason why I'm waiting for it

FYI, the helmet it is replacing is not 12 years old.
Your earlier post implied that an SA2015 helmet would also comply with FIA 8859-2015.

Beware also if reliant on the FIA standard not expiring in 2023, that the homologation of individual items is only valid for 5 years
Quote:
All safety equipment homologated after 01.01.2013 shall have a homologation validity of 5 years.
from FIA Homologation Requirements for Safety equipment
This means that if the MSA align with FIA homologations in future, the helmet would cease to have a valid homologation after 5years, just as with FIA homologated belts.