Uphill Racers

Go Back   Uphill Racers > Hillclimb > Leaders Championship
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Downloads Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 21-03-16, 22:14
stevieturbo stevieturbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norn iron
Posts: 890
stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
I guess you gotta ask too...

What does a 2015 helmet do to protect your head any differently than a 2010...or 2005 ?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 22-03-16, 07:26
Dan Friel Dan Friel is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 272
Dan Friel will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I guess you gotta ask too...

What does a 2015 helmet do to protect your head any differently than a 2010...or 2005 ?
If you're interested in the changes, check the different release notes here:

http://www.smf.org/stds

Quite a big change from 2005 to 2010, less so to 2015.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22-03-16, 07:29
dopdog's Avatar
dopdog dopdog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 1,058
dopdog will become famous soon enough
I was going to say why wait for a 2015 when a 2010 does the same job and for reasons said above both expire in the same year anyway
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22-03-16, 09:00
DavidLoomes DavidLoomes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 59
DavidLoomes is on a distinguished road
Because helmets certified to SA2015 should also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers and that standard does not currently have an expiry date. That and manufacturers have stopped producing 2010 helmets now, so there's only a certain no. left in the supply chain. If your retailer happens to have one in your size, lucky you.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 22-03-16, 09:32
RennyT RennyT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 311
RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLoomes View Post
Because helmets certified to SA2015 should also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers and that standard does not currently have an expiry date. That and manufacturers have stopped producing 2010 helmets now, so there's only a certain no. left in the supply chain. If your retailer happens to have one in your size, lucky you.
Sorry David, you picked that up incorrectly.
FIA 8859-2015 is a FIA helmet standard, Snell SA2015 is a different standard. Whilst some helmets may have been submitted for approval to both standards, it is possible to have a helmet that is only certified to one of them.
IIRC, the FIA 8859-2015 standard has a lower weight limit than the Snell standard.
I recall at an International event having to check a replacement helmet for a driver whose FIA 8860-2010 helmet which he'd worn at Le Mans and F1 testing a couple of weeks earlier, was not acceptable to race with at Battersea Park (Formula E) . This was because their Regulations specified FIA 8859-2015, which was amongst other things, lighter .
__________________
Renny Thomson, MSA Scrutineer (Opinions are my own)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 22-03-16, 11:43
stevieturbo stevieturbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norn iron
Posts: 890
stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
I notice one comment in the first bit I opened about Snell 2015..

"Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years after the helmet is first worn"

Like really...I cannot for the life of me fathom such a statement unless the user is demolishing stuff with their helmets on a regular basis.

Didnt read any further as doubt anything else will make any sense ?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 22-03-16, 12:58
RennyT RennyT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 311
RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
I notice one comment in the first bit I opened about Snell 2015..

"Snell urges everyone to replace their Snell certified helmets routinely no later than five years after the helmet is first worn"

Like really...I cannot for the life of me fathom such a statement unless the user is demolishing stuff with their helmets on a regular basis.

Didnt read any further as doubt anything else will make any sense ?
Exposure to UV Radiation (sunlight), chemicals (fuels, solvents, cleaning materials), liquids (sweat) can all lead to degradation of the helmet structure (including the lining and strap).

It used to be that MSA regulations only allowed helmets to be used up to 5-years after the date of manufacture.

When you routinely have to rummage around inside numerous helmets and under the lining trying to find the approval labels, you soon realise how grotty some peoples heads are
__________________
Renny Thomson, MSA Scrutineer (Opinions are my own)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 22-03-16, 14:16
stevieturbo stevieturbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norn iron
Posts: 890
stevieturbo will become famous soon enough stevieturbo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennyT View Post
Exposure to UV Radiation (sunlight), chemicals (fuels, solvents, cleaning materials), liquids (sweat) can all lead to degradation of the helmet structure (including the lining and strap).

It used to be that MSA regulations only allowed helmets to be used up to 5-years after the date of manufacture.

When you routinely have to rummage around inside numerous helmets and under the lining trying to find the approval labels, you soon realise how grotty some peoples heads are
And how immaculate and almost brand new others that see less frequent and brutal use...as with harnesses...seats...everything really.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 23-03-16, 00:50
DavidLoomes DavidLoomes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 59
DavidLoomes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RennyT View Post
Sorry David, you picked that up incorrectly.
FIA 8859-2015 is a FIA helmet standard, Snell SA2015 is a different standard. Whilst some helmets may have been submitted for approval to both standards, it is possible to have a helmet that is only certified to one of them.
IIRC, the FIA 8859-2015 standard has a lower weight limit than the Snell standard.
I recall at an International event having to check a replacement helmet for a driver whose FIA 8860-2010 helmet which he'd worn at Le Mans and F1 testing a couple of weeks earlier, was not acceptable to race with at Battersea Park (Formula E) . This was because their Regulations specified FIA 8859-2015, which was amongst other things, lighter .
I haven't picked anything up wrongly.

The helmet for which I am waiting IS supposed to come certified to both standards which means, by the current rules, it does not expire in 2023.

That IS the reason why I'm waiting for it

FYI, the helmet it is replacing is not 12 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 23-03-16, 11:30
RennyT RennyT is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 311
RennyT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLoomes View Post
Because helmets certified to SA2015 should also carry FIA 8859-2015 stickers and that standard does not currently have an expiry date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLoomes View Post
I haven't picked anything up wrongly.

The helmet for which I am waiting IS supposed to come certified to both standards which means, by the current rules, it does not expire in 2023.

That IS the reason why I'm waiting for it

FYI, the helmet it is replacing is not 12 years old.
Your earlier post implied that an SA2015 helmet would also comply with FIA 8859-2015.

Beware also if reliant on the FIA standard not expiring in 2023, that the homologation of individual items is only valid for 5 years
Quote:
All safety equipment homologated after 01.01.2013 shall have a homologation validity of 5 years.
from FIA Homologation Requirements for Safety equipment
This means that if the MSA align with FIA homologations in future, the helmet would cease to have a valid homologation after 5years, just as with FIA homologated belts.
__________________
Renny Thomson, MSA Scrutineer (Opinions are my own)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyrightę 2007-2017 www.uphillracers.com